Funny, as I write this, both of my boys are crawling behind me on the couch, jumping into my back, trying to cram onto my lap and kicking the computer. It’s really trying my patience. I don’t really feel like playing the “jump” game with them right now, and not having the amount of time I want, or even a specific corner of the house to myself to work makes me a little panicky. But taking time to just “do nothing” and play is one of my goals. I’ve said I never regret the time I’ve spent playing with my two boys, even if it means letting another thing on the to-do list stay unchecked.
Goal: Date night once a month. Anything different from the normal routine.
On our anniversary this year, my husband and I stayed at the Little America Hotel. As we sat at a little table in our quaint room nibbling on chocolates and drinking apple cider, I realized something: it was very quiet. And not just because we were childless. It was quiet because we were quiet. When we did talk, it was mostly about the kids. We had a great time, but it got me thinking: We need to take more time for just us. Even at night when the kids are asleep, my husband’s usually studying and I’m usually writing or reading. Date nights are few and far between, and will become even scarcer in a few months after the baby arrives. I want to make dating my husband more of a priority. I know lots of couples that do a once-a-week date night. Realistically, I chose once a month. We can definitely make time for that.
I’m excited for 2013 and the new opportunities it holds. Every time I feel myself getting overwhelmed or straying from my goals, I need only remember this saying from my new Mary Engelbreit calendar this year, for the month of December. It reads:
Instructions: Put one foot in front of the other.
Carmen Rasmusen Herbert is a former "American Idol" contestant who writes about entertainment and family for the Deseret News.
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- Book review: Young widow's memoir presents a...
- Australian mom removes heavy makeup from...
- Family motto helps LDS couple put parenting...
- Motherhood Matters: What I learned from...
- 12 Disney movies that are coming out in 2015
- Top honeymoon destinations for 2015
- Are you part of the global 'baby shortage'?
- Are you part of the global 'baby... 11
- Australian mom removes heavy makeup... 11
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos... 5
- Family motto helps LDS couple put... 5
- Sherry Young: Nostalgia, airplanes and... 4
- Motherhood Matters: To grouchy moms... 4
- Does taking advantage of family leave... 4
- Dad gets 'no-show' bill after... 3