Report: Boise State will stay in Mountain West, not join Big East in 2013
Boise State will remain in the Mountain West Conference and not join the Big East in 2013, according to an ESPN report.
"The Broncos' decision on Monday is the latest crippling blow to the Big East Conference, which has had 14 schools announce they were leaving the league in the past two years," ESPN's Brett McMurphy wrote Monday.
Boise State will have to pay the Big East a $10 million fee to remain in the Mountain West Conference, but the MWC will reportedly help pay that price to retain it.
The decision makes sense for Boise State because changes to the Bowl Championship Series requirements will leave the Mountain West and the Big East on equal footing. The champion of the Big East previously received an automatic BCS berth.
Fellow MWC member San Diego State is also scheduled to join the Big East in 2013, but it may now be re-thinking that decision, as rumored weeks ago.
Check out a few Twitter reactions from local and national sources below.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: TheShums
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 292
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31