Report: Boise State will stay in Mountain West, not join Big East in 2013
Boise State will remain in the Mountain West Conference and not join the Big East in 2013, according to an ESPN report.
"The Broncos' decision on Monday is the latest crippling blow to the Big East Conference, which has had 14 schools announce they were leaving the league in the past two years," ESPN's Brett McMurphy wrote Monday.
Boise State will have to pay the Big East a $10 million fee to remain in the Mountain West Conference, but the MWC will reportedly help pay that price to retain it.
The decision makes sense for Boise State because changes to the Bowl Championship Series requirements will leave the Mountain West and the Big East on equal footing. The champion of the Big East previously received an automatic BCS berth.
Fellow MWC member San Diego State is also scheduled to join the Big East in 2013, but it may now be re-thinking that decision, as rumored weeks ago.
Check out a few Twitter reactions from local and national sources below.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: TheShums
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 108
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 23
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21