Report: Boise State will stay in Mountain West, not join Big East in 2013
Boise State will remain in the Mountain West Conference and not join the Big East in 2013, according to an ESPN report.
"The Broncos' decision on Monday is the latest crippling blow to the Big East Conference, which has had 14 schools announce they were leaving the league in the past two years," ESPN's Brett McMurphy wrote Monday.
Boise State will have to pay the Big East a $10 million fee to remain in the Mountain West Conference, but the MWC will reportedly help pay that price to retain it.
The decision makes sense for Boise State because changes to the Bowl Championship Series requirements will leave the Mountain West and the Big East on equal footing. The champion of the Big East previously received an automatic BCS berth.
Fellow MWC member San Diego State is also scheduled to join the Big East in 2013, but it may now be re-thinking that decision, as rumored weeks ago.
Check out a few Twitter reactions from local and national sources below.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: TheShums
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- Utah State's Evans has been on a 'long journey'
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24