Report: Boise State will stay in Mountain West, not join Big East in 2013
Boise State will remain in the Mountain West Conference and not join the Big East in 2013, according to an ESPN report.
"The Broncos' decision on Monday is the latest crippling blow to the Big East Conference, which has had 14 schools announce they were leaving the league in the past two years," ESPN's Brett McMurphy wrote Monday.
Boise State will have to pay the Big East a $10 million fee to remain in the Mountain West Conference, but the MWC will reportedly help pay that price to retain it.
The decision makes sense for Boise State because changes to the Bowl Championship Series requirements will leave the Mountain West and the Big East on equal footing. The champion of the Big East previously received an automatic BCS berth.
Fellow MWC member San Diego State is also scheduled to join the Big East in 2013, but it may now be re-thinking that decision, as rumored weeks ago.
Check out a few Twitter reactions from local and national sources below.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: TheShums
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 39
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 38
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23