Report: Boise State will stay in Mountain West, not join Big East in 2013
Boise State will remain in the Mountain West Conference and not join the Big East in 2013, according to an ESPN report.
"The Broncos' decision on Monday is the latest crippling blow to the Big East Conference, which has had 14 schools announce they were leaving the league in the past two years," ESPN's Brett McMurphy wrote Monday.
Boise State will have to pay the Big East a $10 million fee to remain in the Mountain West Conference, but the MWC will reportedly help pay that price to retain it.
The decision makes sense for Boise State because changes to the Bowl Championship Series requirements will leave the Mountain West and the Big East on equal footing. The champion of the Big East previously received an automatic BCS berth.
Fellow MWC member San Diego State is also scheduled to join the Big East in 2013, but it may now be re-thinking that decision, as rumored weeks ago.
Check out a few Twitter reactions from local and national sources below.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: TheShums
- Deseret News Classic: Allie Moore repeats as...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype
- Salt Lake City's Smyth reclaims 10K title,...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 112
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 65
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 48
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 28
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24