Report: Boise State will stay in Mountain West, not join Big East in 2013
Boise State will remain in the Mountain West Conference and not join the Big East in 2013, according to an ESPN report.
"The Broncos' decision on Monday is the latest crippling blow to the Big East Conference, which has had 14 schools announce they were leaving the league in the past two years," ESPN's Brett McMurphy wrote Monday.
Boise State will have to pay the Big East a $10 million fee to remain in the Mountain West Conference, but the MWC will reportedly help pay that price to retain it.
The decision makes sense for Boise State because changes to the Bowl Championship Series requirements will leave the Mountain West and the Big East on equal footing. The champion of the Big East previously received an automatic BCS berth.
Fellow MWC member San Diego State is also scheduled to join the Big East in 2013, but it may now be re-thinking that decision, as rumored weeks ago.
Check out a few Twitter reactions from local and national sources below.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: TheShums
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- High school football: Timpview overcomes...
- Dick Harmon: Regardless of circusmtances,...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 115
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 99
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 36
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 36
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 30
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21