Boise State will remain in the Mountain West Conference and not join the Big East in 2013, according to an ESPN report.
"The Broncos' decision on Monday is the latest crippling blow to the Big East Conference, which has had 14 schools announce they were leaving the league in the past two years," ESPN's Brett McMurphy wrote Monday.
Boise State will have to pay the Big East a $10 million fee to remain in the Mountain West Conference, but the MWC will reportedly help pay that price to retain it.
The decision makes sense for Boise State because changes to the Bowl Championship Series requirements will leave the Mountain West and the Big East on equal footing. The champion of the Big East previously received an automatic BCS berth.
Fellow MWC member San Diego State is also scheduled to join the Big East in 2013, but it may now be re-thinking that decision, as rumored weeks ago.
Check out a few Twitter reactions from local and national sources below.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: TheShums
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay forever
- BYU football: Baker Pritchard discusses...
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces...
- Forget Kaepernick, Taysom Hill should be...
- Surviving the unthinkable: Utah lineman who...
- Dick Harmon: Many expect Jabari Parker to...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 53
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 50
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 46
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 46
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new,... 24