Report: Boise State will stay in Mountain West, not join Big East in 2013
Boise State will remain in the Mountain West Conference and not join the Big East in 2013, according to an ESPN report.
"The Broncos' decision on Monday is the latest crippling blow to the Big East Conference, which has had 14 schools announce they were leaving the league in the past two years," ESPN's Brett McMurphy wrote Monday.
Boise State will have to pay the Big East a $10 million fee to remain in the Mountain West Conference, but the MWC will reportedly help pay that price to retain it.
The decision makes sense for Boise State because changes to the Bowl Championship Series requirements will leave the Mountain West and the Big East on equal footing. The champion of the Big East previously received an automatic BCS berth.
Fellow MWC member San Diego State is also scheduled to join the Big East in 2013, but it may now be re-thinking that decision, as rumored weeks ago.
Check out a few Twitter reactions from local and national sources below.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: TheShums
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Halford helps key BYU's late-season run,...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 67
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 40
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29