The Clippers, who've beaten Utah five times in a row, also got 19 points apiece from Chris Paul and Jamal Crawford along with 14 points from DeAndre Jordan. As a team, they shot 50 percent compared to a 41.3 percent night for the Jazz.
"They've got a lot of guys who can score the basketball," said Jazz shooting guard Gordon Hayward, who scored 16 points on 5-for-15 shooting. "They've got some veteran guys who know how to play this game, so they can be a difficult team to guard."
The Jazz were both proud that they were able to fight their way back into this one but also disappointed that it unraveled after they took the lead. Utah was upset about making 16 turnovers.
It didn't help that the Jazz had their lowest-scoring quarter in the fourth: 20 points.
"We gave it our all," Derrick Favors said. "We put our best effort out. We just came up short. We've just got to make more shots."
"We definitely had some fight in us, which was good," Hayward said. "We could have laid down pretty easy, but we're not going to do that."
Even so, the Jazz locker room was a somber, tense spot yet again.
That was especially the case when Paul Millsap was asked about being frustrated after not playing in the fourth quarter in favor of Favors.
Millsap bristled a terse reply: "What you think? I'll let you answer that."
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 44