During Ludwig’s time at Utah, the Utes had average ranking of 42nd in the country in total offense with a best of No. 12. In the past four years under four different offensive coordinators, the Utes’ average ranking was 80th, including the past two years’ rankings of 109 and 105, respectively. Oh for days of Andy Ludwig .
• Danny Ainge never did it. Neither did Keith Van Horn or Damian Lillard. Jimmer Fredette didn’t do it as a sophomore, anyway.
Tyler Haws is just a sophomore, just a few months back from an LDS mission, but his 42-point performance Saturday against Virginia Tech put him in some elite company in Utah basketball history.
Only three BYU players ever scored more in a game, and only four University of Utah players scored more, while seven Utah State players and one Weber State player topped the 42-point mark.
For the record, the Cougar players were Fredette, Bob Skousen (1961), and Dave Eastis (1960); the Utes were Billy McGill (1961-62), Jerry Chambers (1966), Luther Burden (1974), and Art Bunte (1955). Aggie players included Wayne Estes (1965), Marvin Roberts (1969), Shaler Halimon (1968), Cornell Green (1962), Nate Williams (1961), Max Perry (1961) and Jaycee Carroll (2007), while Weber State had Stan Mayhew (1977). And we can’t forget UVU’s Ryan Toolson, who scored 63 in a quadruple-overtime game in 2009.
Another dozen or so former Utah collegians are in the 40-point club, including Haws’ father, Marty, who dropped 40 on Siena on Nov. 24, 1989.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19