HEBER CITY — A garage was destroyed by fire Sunday, presumably caused by a space heater meant to keep a batch of newborn piglets warm.
Janet Carson, spokeswoman for the Wasatch County Fire District, said the fire started in a small shed attached to a garage where the piglets and their mother were being kept. The mother pig and her babies were all rescued.
The fire started just after 5 a.m. near 1780 E. 2400 South in Heber City.
The cause of the blaze is under investigation, but fire crews assume the space heater caused some hay to catch fire, burning most of the garage, Carson said. Crews estimate the fire caused about $70,000 in damage.
Despite problems caused by cold temperatures and freezing water, fire crews had the blaze out in about an hour, Carson said.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Families need to know of dying decision to...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- National Defense Authorization Act includes...
- U.K. doctors embrace e-cigarettes as U.S....
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 50
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 48
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26