High school boys basketball: Bubba Miller scores 42 as Bear River outlasts Box Elder in rivalry shootout
GARLAND — Friday night was Miller time at Bear River High School.
Bear River's Wade "Bubba" Miller scored 42 points on 13-of-20 shooting, including 5 of 8 from 3-point range. Box Elder's Shad Watson kept pace with Miller by scoring 40 points, hitting seven 3-pointers, but Bear River held on late at home to win 76-72 over its rival inside Memorial Gym.
"It was a fun game," said Miller. "I just had to keep shooting and good things happened for us. Everybody stepped up. It was huge for us to stay in shape over the break and play so well late in the game. I think that was the difference."
Box Elder started off hot with Watson getting good looks as the Bees ran off to a 13-3 lead. Bear River had early foul trouble and that's when Miller took over. At the end of the first quarter the Bears had knotted the game at 18.
Box Elder led for three-and-a-half quarters until Austin Miller hit a 3-pointer that gave the Bears a one-point advantage. The game went back and forth until the final minute. Austin scored nine points for the Bears and was tasked with defending Watson.
The Miller cousins — Austin and Bubba — played from wire to wire for the Bears and were matched minute-for-minute, bucket-for-bucket by Watson.
The Bears nearly gave the game away with turnovers and fouls as they saw a six-point lead cut to three with 38 seconds left. But Garrett Fronk iced the game for the Bears at the free-throw line in the final minute, maintaining a two-score lead.
Bear River's head coach, Kasey Winters, was unable to be at the game following surgery, but should be back soon. In his place was assistant coach Jared Miller, who has been coaching the Bears' seniors their whole lives.
Tyler Bates scored 12 points for Box Elder, but fouled out late in the game. Bear River's Kyle Zundel also fouled out, only scoring four points in his few foul-ridden minutes.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48