SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man accused of attempting to stab a random stranger while he was pumping gas faces assault charges.
Joseph Samoa Ama, 25, is charged with assault, a third-degree felony, according to charges filed Friday in 3rd District Court in Salt Lake City. Ama had been arrested for investigation of attempted murder, police said.
Ama was arrested Monday following an attack at Maverik, 514 W. 3900 South. Police said Ama approached a man while he was pumping gas just after 10 p.m. and began swinging a knife at him and yelling, "I am going to kill you!"
Ama fled when a man witnessing the attack began yelling at him. He was arrested nearby a short time later.
The victim of the attack received a small puncture wound to the chest and lacerations on his hands, police said.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water...
- Utah soldier presumed dead in Afghanistan
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 62
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 45
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- Attorney General John Swallow says he's... 16
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 14
- Angelina Jolie announcement leads to... 12