SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man accused of attempting to stab a random stranger while he was pumping gas faces assault charges.
Joseph Samoa Ama, 25, is charged with assault, a third-degree felony, according to charges filed Friday in 3rd District Court in Salt Lake City. Ama had been arrested for investigation of attempted murder, police said.
Ama was arrested Monday following an attack at Maverik, 514 W. 3900 South. Police said Ama approached a man while he was pumping gas just after 10 p.m. and began swinging a knife at him and yelling, "I am going to kill you!"
Ama fled when a man witnessing the attack began yelling at him. He was arrested nearby a short time later.
The victim of the attack received a small puncture wound to the chest and lacerations on his hands, police said.
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Orangeville couple killed in head-on crash
- Ex-nurse accused of sexually abusing,...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Former West Valley City women's clinic owner...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 38
- Do Utah high school students need four... 32
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in... 25
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 20
- Young adults are faced with risky... 18
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after... 9