BYU football: Former coach LaVell Edwards recovering from heart surgery
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — Former BYU head football coach LaVell Edwards spent his Christmas Day recovering from open heart surgery in Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.
The 82-year-old coach underwent surgery Dec. 23 after experiencing a disturbing cough. He received an X-ray and an EKG and doctors found irregularities when compared to a previous test.
"I had no warning really," said Edwards, who is recovering at his home on Friday.
"What they found is a calsification of a valve, which happens over time. They corrected that and did one bypass, and I'll be just fine."
Friends at Riverside Country Club in Provo say Edwards has never played better golf in years than he did this summer and fall. "I think it will take some time before I'll pick up a club, probably about three months."
Edwards retired from BYU after the 2000 season and has spent his retirement working for charities, serving in missionary callings for the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, golfing and enjoying his grandchildren. Edwards maintains homes in Provo and Coral Canyon near St. George.
Edwards was BYU's head football coach from 1972 to 2000 and is known for his passing offenses that had his quarterbacks pass for more than 11,000 passes for more than 100,000 yards and 635 touchdowns. He remains one of the winningest college football coaches of all time.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 24
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14