BYU football: Former coach LaVell Edwards recovering from heart surgery
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — Former BYU head football coach LaVell Edwards spent his Christmas Day recovering from open heart surgery in Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.
The 82-year-old coach underwent surgery Dec. 23 after experiencing a disturbing cough. He received an X-ray and an EKG and doctors found irregularities when compared to a previous test.
"I had no warning really," said Edwards, who is recovering at his home on Friday.
"What they found is a calsification of a valve, which happens over time. They corrected that and did one bypass, and I'll be just fine."
Friends at Riverside Country Club in Provo say Edwards has never played better golf in years than he did this summer and fall. "I think it will take some time before I'll pick up a club, probably about three months."
Edwards retired from BYU after the 2000 season and has spent his retirement working for charities, serving in missionary callings for the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, golfing and enjoying his grandchildren. Edwards maintains homes in Provo and Coral Canyon near St. George.
Edwards was BYU's head football coach from 1972 to 2000 and is known for his passing offenses that had his quarterbacks pass for more than 11,000 passes for more than 100,000 yards and 635 touchdowns. He remains one of the winningest college football coaches of all time.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48