SALT LAKE CITY — The snow has finally stopped falling and the blue skies returned Friday afternoon. The storms that went through the state since Christmas Eve dropped a lot of snow, forcing drivers to slow down and people to do a lot of backbreaking shoveling.
The National Weather Service took a look at snow totals through Friday. Salt Lake City recorded 11.7 inches beginning Christmas day. Others, beginning the night before Christmas, made the entire week a winter wonderland.
• Salt Lake City International Airport: 8 inches.
• Provo/BYU: 10 inches.
• Provo Canyon: 18 inches.
• Centerville: 19 inches.
• South Ogden: 13 inches.
Ski resorts reported good numbers.
• Snowbasin Mid-bowl: 31 inches.
• Alta: 36 inches.
• Eagle Point: 34 inches.
• Brighton: 21 inches.
• Snowbasin: 20 inches.
The Utah Highway Patrol responded to hundreds of crashes up and down the Wasatch Front since the start of the winter storms Monday.
• Salt Lake County, 245 crashes.
• Utah County, more than 100.
• Davis County, more than 90, with 50 accidents.
Note: Most accidents involved no or minor injuries. There were no fatalities reported along the Wasatch Front.
• UDOT snow removal crews totaling 687 employees were dedicated to snow removal. Statewide, 499 plows cleared more than 6,000 miles of roadway, and put down more than 1.5 million pounds of salt.
• Tired of shoveling snow? Removing snow from an average two-car driveway that's 24 feet wide and 30 feet long, shoveling a foot of snow during a 48-hour period at about 10 pounds per cubic foot of light Utah snow, means 7,200 pounds of snow, that's more than 3.5 tons of snow.
- Davis County honor student arrested in deaths...
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- Police locate West Point teen called 'person...
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- Chaffetz not willing to take impeachment off...
- Steven Powell can't go back to his home,...
- ESPN trivia guru: University of Utah graduate...
- Chaffetz not willing to take... 60
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 33
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 24
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17