SALT LAKE CITY — The snow has finally stopped falling and the blue skies returned Friday afternoon. The storms that went through the state since Christmas Eve dropped a lot of snow, forcing drivers to slow down and people to do a lot of backbreaking shoveling.
The National Weather Service took a look at snow totals through Friday. Salt Lake City recorded 11.7 inches beginning Christmas day. Others, beginning the night before Christmas, made the entire week a winter wonderland.
• Salt Lake City International Airport: 8 inches.
• Provo/BYU: 10 inches.
• Provo Canyon: 18 inches.
• Centerville: 19 inches.
• South Ogden: 13 inches.
Ski resorts reported good numbers.
• Snowbasin Mid-bowl: 31 inches.
• Alta: 36 inches.
• Eagle Point: 34 inches.
• Brighton: 21 inches.
• Snowbasin: 20 inches.
The Utah Highway Patrol responded to hundreds of crashes up and down the Wasatch Front since the start of the winter storms Monday.
• Salt Lake County, 245 crashes.
• Utah County, more than 100.
• Davis County, more than 90, with 50 accidents.
Note: Most accidents involved no or minor injuries. There were no fatalities reported along the Wasatch Front.
• UDOT snow removal crews totaling 687 employees were dedicated to snow removal. Statewide, 499 plows cleared more than 6,000 miles of roadway, and put down more than 1.5 million pounds of salt.
• Tired of shoveling snow? Removing snow from an average two-car driveway that's 24 feet wide and 30 feet long, shoveling a foot of snow during a 48-hour period at about 10 pounds per cubic foot of light Utah snow, means 7,200 pounds of snow, that's more than 3.5 tons of snow.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- Utah, Western states say feds are all wet on...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 79
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 44
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 20
- New definition of homeless would give... 20
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11