We took seats and thoroughly enjoyed the meeting. I had the thought: Here was where native students could practice their English, and the wandering American could find understanding.
Following the meeting, a senior missionary couple approached and stood in front of us, and for some reason my eyes started at his shoes. As I finally made saw his nametag, I recognized the name — Elder Dukelow. The face confirmed it was he, one of the missionaries who went to Germany with me. "I know you!" I exclaimed. "Well I know you!” he responded, as we shared a warm handshake.
Now I was not wearing a nametag, but it was precisely here that Elder Dukelow's wife interrupted with "You're the one!"
Now came the rest of the story. Those nine missionaries on the plane had begun praying for help, for me to get back timely as soon as it became clear that the airplane was boarding and I was not back. They were probably united in prayer as the plane was called to a stop and a wayward missionary climbed aboard. I would presume that everyone bore strong testimony to the power of prayer to stop an airplane.
Elder Dukelow obviously shared the story with his wife and children. More than likely, the rest of the nine remembered the story and its powerful witness to the strength of prayer, during their missions and long after.
Some of us need to be reminded what the Lord has done for us.
My children now know the tale and so do you.
Archie Albaugh lives in Craig, Colo.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS Church...
- LDS leader describes writing Elder Neal A....
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Returned Mormon missionaries in college...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 91
- Ask Angela: LDS women have unrealistic... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 38
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to... 35
- When Satan steals your motherhood 27
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden... 23
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 14