'Dews of Heaven: Answers to Life's Questions from the Doctrine and Covenants' does not disappoint
Editor's note: Mormon Times is highlighting several new books on the Doctrine and Covenants, which is the focus of the Sunday School curriculum for 2013.
"DEWS OF HEAVEN: Answers to Life's Questions from the Doctrine and Covenants," by Breck England, Cedar Fort, $16.99, 256 pages (nf)
In his recently released book, "Dews of Heaven: Answers to Life's Questions from the Doctrine and Covenants," Breck England candidly asks — and answers — 20 commonly asked questions that have crossed the Mormon mind a time or two.
This inspiring book is separated into 20 chapters, each beginning with a question, followed by an answer via the Doctrine and Covenants, personal anecdotes from the author and father of five, and quotes from prophets and apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
In 256 pages of raw material, England dives right in, but wants readers to know it’s anything but a typical scripture supplement.
“Dews of Heaven” suits college-aged Mormons and above, but mostly speaks to couples and families. A chapter on communication begins with the following question: “I love my family so much, but we have a hard time communicating. We do argue too often, but even more troubling, we don’t share very much of what’s in our hearts. How can we improve communication between husband and wife, parent and child (and teenager!)?”
Questions and topics range from self-worth to missions, money, science, marriage, health, temptation and the Atonement. This book will not disappoint and is a good option for those wishing to get the most out of the new 2013 Sunday School course curriculum on the Doctrine and Covenants.
More recently released books about the Doctrine and Covenants
"The Savior in Kirtland" by Karl Ricks Anderson
"Little-Know Stories about the Doctrine and Covenants" by Dan Baker
"You Shall Have My Word: Exploring the Text of the Doctrine & Covenants: the 41st Annual Brigham Young University Sidney Symposium"
"Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia: Revised Edition," by Hoyt W. Brewster Jr.
Books about President Lorenzo Snow
Brooke Willardson Porter is a California native turned Oklahoma adoptee. She is a writer, editor and full-time wife to a busy pediatric resident. Join her exaggerated discourses: atleastitsnotasingle.blogspot.com. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Nelson Mandela's faith made him a worldwide...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 60
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 26
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 22
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 21
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 19
- Space and religion: How believers view... 13
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 7
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter... 7