Writer shares little-known stories about the Doctrine and Covenants
Editor's note: Mormon Times is highlighting several new books on the Doctrine and Covenants, which is the focus of the Sunday School curriculum for 2013.
"LITTLE-KNOWN STORIES ABOUT THE DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS," by Dan Barker, Cedar Fort, $18.99, 336 pages (nf)
Many know that John Hancock is famous for his overly large signature on the Declaration of Independence.
But did you know that 50 years later, Levi Hancock, a descendant of John Hancock, signed his name on another important document — the first printing of the Book of Commandments?
It's true, and the story of Levi Hancock's signature is one of many found in author Dan Barker's new book, "Little-Known Stories About the Doctrine and Covenants."
"I want the reader to understand that this is not a commentary," Barker said in the book's preface. "It's a compilation of behind-the-scene stories."
The book consists of numbered sections corresponding to the sections of the Doctrine and Covenants. Each section of the book is made up of numerous stories and historical context, which combined, helped shape the situation or reason behind each section of the Doctrine and Covenants.
As a twist, Barker has also included a question to test the reader's knowledge of what has been presented.
Barker was raised in Canada and graduated from Utah State University. He enjoyed a brief career with the forest service and is now employed by Nestle.
"Little-Known Stories About the Doctrine and Covenants" is available wherever LDS books are sold.
More recently released books about the Doctrine and Covenants
"The Savior in Kirtland" by Karl Ricks Anderson
"You Shall Have My Word: Exploring the Text of the Doctrine & Covenants: the 41st Annual Brigham Young University Sidney Symposium"
"Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia: Revised Edition," by Hoyt W. Brewster Jr.
Books about President Lorenzo Snow
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Would BYU honor code be better with an...
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- Elder and Sister Renlund speak during BYU...
- LDS Church outlines how it prevents child...
- Mormon man's rap album hits No. 1 spot on...
- Sister Linda K. Burton speaks at BYU Women's...
- One year ago, founding member of SEAL Team...
- LDS Church hires assistant church historian...
- Would BYU honor code be better with an... 78
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Defending the Faith: Taking a 'Leap of... 36
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 33
- ... 31
- Should your boss know that you keep the... 26
- Kasich calls for balance on gay rights,... 19
- The benefits some families see from... 16