Writer shares little-known stories about the Doctrine and Covenants
Editor's note: Mormon Times is highlighting several new books on the Doctrine and Covenants, which is the focus of the Sunday School curriculum for 2013.
"LITTLE-KNOWN STORIES ABOUT THE DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS," by Dan Barker, Cedar Fort, $18.99, 336 pages (nf)
Many know that John Hancock is famous for his overly large signature on the Declaration of Independence.
But did you know that 50 years later, Levi Hancock, a descendant of John Hancock, signed his name on another important document — the first printing of the Book of Commandments?
It's true, and the story of Levi Hancock's signature is one of many found in author Dan Barker's new book, "Little-Known Stories About the Doctrine and Covenants."
"I want the reader to understand that this is not a commentary," Barker said in the book's preface. "It's a compilation of behind-the-scene stories."
The book consists of numbered sections corresponding to the sections of the Doctrine and Covenants. Each section of the book is made up of numerous stories and historical context, which combined, helped shape the situation or reason behind each section of the Doctrine and Covenants.
As a twist, Barker has also included a question to test the reader's knowledge of what has been presented.
Barker was raised in Canada and graduated from Utah State University. He enjoyed a brief career with the forest service and is now employed by Nestle.
"Little-Known Stories About the Doctrine and Covenants" is available wherever LDS books are sold.
More recently released books about the Doctrine and Covenants
"The Savior in Kirtland" by Karl Ricks Anderson
"You Shall Have My Word: Exploring the Text of the Doctrine & Covenants: the 41st Annual Brigham Young University Sidney Symposium"
"Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia: Revised Edition," by Hoyt W. Brewster Jr.
Books about President Lorenzo Snow
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Elder Perry to undergo cancer treatment,...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- 27 more tips for couples: Marriage advice,...
- 6 ways youths, leaders can reboot the church...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting religious...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't capture...
- Streaming video: Long-awaited Star Valley...
- Sweeping size of Payson Temple reflects...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 90
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 60
- Spiritual journey leads 3-term U.S.... 51
- Physicist tells New York Times he keeps... 37
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 22
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Sweeping size of Payson Temple reflects... 17