Editor's note: Mormon Times is highlighting several new books on the Doctrine and Covenants, which is the focus of the Sunday School curriculum for 2013.
"EXPLORING THE FIRST VISION," edited by Samuel Alonzo Dodge and Steven C. Harper, Deseret Book and BYU Religious Studies Center, $25.99, 338 pages (nf)
"Exploring the First Vision" is packed full of commentary on the sacred event that started The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Beginning with accounts written by Joseph Smith himself, this book enhances understanding of the things that took place in the Sacred Grove. Although combined by Samuel Alonzo Dodge and Steven C. Harper, the book contains several authors who discuss all angles of the event.
Harper describes the book in his preface as a volume that contains some of the most influential articles about Joseph Smith's First Vision.
"The past of First Vision scholarship is indispensable to the present," Harper said. "Those of us who study the First Vision today depend very much on the works of the scholars that are reprinted in this volume."
More recently released books about the Doctrine and Covenants
"The Savior in Kirtland" by Karl Ricks Anderson
"Little-Know Stories about the Doctrine and Covenants" by Dan Baker
"You Shall Have My Word: Exploring the Text of the Doctrine & Covenants: the 41st Annual Brigham Young University Sidney Symposium"
"Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia: Revised Edition," by Hoyt W. Brewster Jr.
Books about President Lorenzo Snow
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Wright Words: Despite horrific fire, Mormon...
- ‘Blood moon’ sets off apocalyptic...
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists to...
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a theological...
- How much does President Obama donate to his...
- LDS Church releases YouTube video as part of...
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should I...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 92
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 74
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 72
- In our opinion: The Ten Commandments in... 51
- Gospel about Jesus' wife likely an... 45
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 32
- How much does President Obama donate to... 29
- LDS Church releases YouTube video as... 23