'Exploring the First Vision' contains commentary about historic event
Editor's note: Mormon Times is highlighting several new books on the Doctrine and Covenants, which is the focus of the Sunday School curriculum for 2013.
"EXPLORING THE FIRST VISION," edited by Samuel Alonzo Dodge and Steven C. Harper, Deseret Book and BYU Religious Studies Center, $25.99, 338 pages (nf)
"Exploring the First Vision" is packed full of commentary on the sacred event that started The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Beginning with accounts written by Joseph Smith himself, this book enhances understanding of the things that took place in the Sacred Grove. Although combined by Samuel Alonzo Dodge and Steven C. Harper, the book contains several authors who discuss all angles of the event.
Harper describes the book in his preface as a volume that contains some of the most influential articles about Joseph Smith's First Vision.
"The past of First Vision scholarship is indispensable to the present," Harper said. "Those of us who study the First Vision today depend very much on the works of the scholars that are reprinted in this volume."
More recently released books about the Doctrine and Covenants
"The Savior in Kirtland" by Karl Ricks Anderson
"Little-Know Stories about the Doctrine and Covenants" by Dan Baker
"You Shall Have My Word: Exploring the Text of the Doctrine & Covenants: the 41st Annual Brigham Young University Sidney Symposium"
"Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia: Revised Edition," by Hoyt W. Brewster Jr.
Books about President Lorenzo Snow
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- New features at Ogden Temple reception tent...
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is better...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 22
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 18
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 8
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 7
- New features at Ogden Temple reception... 6