'The Essential Doctrine and Covenants Companion' has scripture-studying Mormons in mind
Editor's note: Mormon Times is highlighting several new books on the Doctrine and Covenants, which is the focus of the Sunday School curriculum for 2013.
Author Mary Jane Woodger designed her new book, "The Essential Doctrine and Covenants Companion," with scripture-studying LDS Church members in mind.
"The 'Companion' is helpful for any scripture study routine," Woodger wrote in the book's introduction. "You might find it helpful to get a quick overview of the section before you read the actual Doctrine and Covenants passage, or you might find this book is a helpful guide while you are reading the scriptures. You might also find it's a beneficial tool to help after you've finished reading each section. Maybe you'll find it helpful in all three ways."
The “Companion” is the second in a series of scripture commentaries offered by Covenant Communications. Its purpose is to be "a user-friendly fellow traveler" for someone reading the Doctrine and Covenants.
For most sections of the Doctrine of Covenants, readers will find a two-page spread containing key scriptures, summaries of themes and main concepts, a synopsis of the historical background, a quick list of prominent people and other interesting facts and bullet points. Perhaps the most important element is a box sharing insights into the Savior Jesus Christ and his teachings.
"It is my hope that as you read the pages of the Doctrine of Covenants and ponder the insights offered in this 'Companion,' your own testimony of both the Savior and his Church will deepen," Woodger wrote.
Woodger is an associate professor of church history and doctrine at Brigham Young University. She has served on the LDS Church Curriculum Committee and is the author or co-author of numerous articles on doctrinal, historical and educational subjects. She is a popular speaker at Education Week and other conferences.
The "Companion" is available wherever LDS books are sold.
More recently released books about the Doctrine and Covenants
"The Savior in Kirtland" by Karl Ricks Anderson
"Little-Know Stories about the Doctrine and Covenants" by Dan Baker
"You Shall Have My Word: Exploring the Text of the Doctrine & Covenants: the 41st Annual Brigham Young University Sidney Symposium"
"Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia: Revised Edition," by Hoyt W. Brewster Jr.
Books about President Lorenzo Snow
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is better...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- New features at Ogden Temple reception tent...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 25
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 11
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 8
- New features at Ogden Temple reception... 6
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5