'The Savior in Kirtland' by Karl Ricks Anderson describes historical church events
Editor's note: Mormon Times is highlighting several new books on the Doctrine and Covenants, which is the focus of the Sunday School curriculum for 2013.
"THE SAVIOR IN KIRTLAND," by Karl Ricks Anderson, Deseret Book, $19.99, 338 pages (nf)
During the early years of the Restoration, Kirtland, Ohio, was where leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were taught about the Atonement, the plan of salvation, church ordinances and temples through countless visions. Author Karl Ricks Anderson describes these significant events of the church in his book, "The Savior in Kirtland."
In the book, Anderson writes, "The Savior prepared Kirtland and then commanded His Saints to gather there." Anderson tells of historical events, dating back to the 1700s, which describe Kirtland's preparation in more detail.
The book also tells stories of specific church leaders such as Sidney Rigdon, Oliver Cowdery, Parley P. Pratt and Joseph Smith. These leaders were able to gather the Saints in Kirtland and teach them more about the gospel.
Accounts from many witnesses seeing the Savior are told, mainly in the Kirtland Temple. These witnesses had an unquestioned testimony that the Lord directed his Saints. Their testimonies built faith and strength in others.
The stories found in "The Savior in Kirtland" detail how the Saints were able to do the Savior's work and help build the church to where it is today.
The book is an easy read, but the lengthy paragraphs containing historical facts may deter younger readers. Students in high school and college likely would benefit the most by reading this book.
More recently released books about the Doctrine and Covenants
"Little-Know Stories about the Doctrine and Covenants" by Dan Baker
"You Shall Have My Word: Exploring the Text of the Doctrine & Covenants: the 41st Annual Brigham Young University Sidney Symposium"
"Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia: Revised Edition," by Hoyt W. Brewster Jr.
Books about President Lorenzo Snow
Kylie Lewis is an intern for the Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and does other feature articles. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, receiving a bachelor's degree in communications.
- LDS Church announces feature-length...
- LDS Church announces new seminary graduation...
- SUU coach Ed Lamb not a Mormon, but serves...
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use social...
- Mormons on social media react to Elder...
- Watch: Elder David A. Bednar speaks about the...
- Nicholls State assistant football coach is...
- Angel Moroni statues placed atop 2 LDS temples
- SUU coach Ed Lamb not a Mormon, but... 35
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use... 21
- Elder Russell M. Nelson speaks at BYU... 20
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland posts picture... 15
- Clashing visions threaten religious... 12
- New Harmony: Mustering a mustard seed... 10
- LDS Church announces feature-length... 7