'The Savior in Kirtland' by Karl Ricks Anderson describes historical church events
Editor's note: Mormon Times is highlighting several new books on the Doctrine and Covenants, which is the focus of the Sunday School curriculum for 2013.
"THE SAVIOR IN KIRTLAND," by Karl Ricks Anderson, Deseret Book, $19.99, 338 pages (nf)
During the early years of the Restoration, Kirtland, Ohio, was where leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were taught about the Atonement, the plan of salvation, church ordinances and temples through countless visions. Author Karl Ricks Anderson describes these significant events of the church in his book, "The Savior in Kirtland."
In the book, Anderson writes, "The Savior prepared Kirtland and then commanded His Saints to gather there." Anderson tells of historical events, dating back to the 1700s, which describe Kirtland's preparation in more detail.
The book also tells stories of specific church leaders such as Sidney Rigdon, Oliver Cowdery, Parley P. Pratt and Joseph Smith. These leaders were able to gather the Saints in Kirtland and teach them more about the gospel.
Accounts from many witnesses seeing the Savior are told, mainly in the Kirtland Temple. These witnesses had an unquestioned testimony that the Lord directed his Saints. Their testimonies built faith and strength in others.
The stories found in "The Savior in Kirtland" detail how the Saints were able to do the Savior's work and help build the church to where it is today.
The book is an easy read, but the lengthy paragraphs containing historical facts may deter younger readers. Students in high school and college likely would benefit the most by reading this book.
More recently released books about the Doctrine and Covenants
"Little-Know Stories about the Doctrine and Covenants" by Dan Baker
"You Shall Have My Word: Exploring the Text of the Doctrine & Covenants: the 41st Annual Brigham Young University Sidney Symposium"
"Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia: Revised Edition," by Hoyt W. Brewster Jr.
Books about President Lorenzo Snow
Kylie Lewis is an intern for the Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and does other feature articles. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, receiving a bachelor's degree in communications.
- Police interviewing some of the 12 girls...
- Responding to Trump, Clinton says he has 'no...
- 1st edition Book of Mormon sells for $52,500...
- Pope prays at Armenia memorial after...
- LDS Church releases new video of Elder...
- Warnings come true: Indicted FLDS leader Lyle...
- Utah welcomes His Holiness the 14th Dalai...
- Twila Van Leer: What family history treasures...
- Mormon youth leader dies on trek outing... 70
- LDS Church releases new video of Elder... 34
- Defending the Faith: The challenge... 27
- Survey: White evangelicals say US no... 21
- Trump to top evangelicals:... 19
- Warnings come true: Indicted FLDS... 18
- Elder Holland introduces new Mormon... 15
- Report says list of ‘Islamophobic... 11