'400 Questions and Answers About the Doctrine and Covenants' emerged from author's personal study
Editor's note: Mormon Times is highlighting several new books on the Doctrine and Covenants, which is the focus of the Sunday School curriculum for 2013.
"400 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT THE DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS," by Susan Easton Black, Covenant Communications, $17.99, 259 pages (nf)
Susan Easton Black's new book, "400 Questions and Answers About the Doctrine and Covenants," started with her own personal study and questions.
"Through hours of study and library research, most of my compiled questions have been answered," she wrote in the introduction. "These answers have led to my strong conviction of the truthfulness of the revelations and teachings contained in the Doctrine and Covenants."
Now the Brigham Young University professor of LDS Church history and doctrine is sharing her insight and knowledge in a book designed in a question-and-answer format. Starting with a historical background, Black dissects each section of the Doctrine and Covenants in a way that invites personal exploration and personal discovery. Researching and preparing the book was an enriching experience, Black said.
"Knowing the eternal truths of the Doctrine and Covenants has been a great blessing in my life," Black wrote. "The revelations received by Joseph Smith and other holy prophets have been a beacon leading me to unequivocally profess that Joseph Smith was the Prophet whom the Lord raised up to bring forth the word of God."
In addition to teaching at BYU, Black is also past associate dean of general education and honors and director of church history in the Religious Studies Center. She is the recipient of numerous academic awards, including the Karl G. Maeser distinguished faculty lecturer award in 2000, the highest award given a professor on the BYU Provo campus. She has authored, edited and compiled more than 100 books and 250 articles.
"It is my hope that '400 Questions' will inspire readers to glean their own insights about the restoration and the gospel of Jesus Christ," Black wrote.
More recently released books about the Doctrine and Covenants
"The Savior in Kirtland" by Karl Ricks Anderson
"Little-Know Stories about the Doctrine and Covenants" by Dan Baker
"You Shall Have My Word: Exploring the Text of the Doctrine & Covenants: the 41st Annual Brigham Young University Sidney Symposium"
"Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia: Revised Edition," by Hoyt W. Brewster Jr.
Books about President Lorenzo Snow
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- Thousands gather for LDS Women's Meeting
- Defending the Faith: Thinking clearly about...
- President Uchtdorf: 'Live the gospel joyful'
- LDS general conference marks 90th, 65th...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- Defending the Faith: Thinking clearly... 92
- New Jersey teen to join fight against... 62
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 17
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 13
- 5 things to remember when you think God... 10
- Y. forum speaker focuses defending the... 6
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3