#DNHuddleUp: What would Deron Williams think if Jerry Sloan coached the Nets?
Tom Smart, Deseret News
When the Nets fired Avery Johnson on Thursday, the media immediately began to speculate that the Nets' first choice would be Phil Jackson. That got us thinking, "What if the Nets hired Jerry Sloan?"
A former NBA All-star, now-Brooklyn point guard Deron Williams has been widely blamed for the departure of Sloan, the legendary former coach of the Jazz, and Johnson's dismissal is now the second time in three seasons Williams' coach has been dismissed midseason.
Johnson is also the second coach to be dismissed this year in the NBA; previously, the L.A. Lakers fired Mike Brown after a disappointing start. Immediately, rumors of Jackson's return to the sideline began, and the situation is no different this time around, though it appears the Nets may have more interest in Jackson than he has in them.
During the last vacancy and during several other NBA offseason coaching vacancies, Sloan's name has surfaced, so we, the Deseret News sports staff, began to wonder how Williams would react if Sloan decided to coach the Nets.
Watch @desnewssports for a #DNHuddleUp question every Wednesday. Reply with the hashtag #DNHuddleUp to be a part of the huddle.
- Ranking the best running backs in University...
- Elder Perry the sports fan
- Morning links: Reflecting on Andrei...
- Sisterly Love: Brynlee Lindsey jeopardizing...
- Ranking the best power forwards in the NBA...
- Ex-Olympus High star Nick Paulos to get Jazz...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA...
- Rock On: The luxury of a pink slip
- Morning links: Sports figures react to... 148
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to... 40
- Several early season game times set for... 32
- Morning links: Reflecting on Andrei... 29
- Dick Harmon: Larry Krystkowiak chimes... 17
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets... 16
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out... 14
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout... 14