#DNHuddleUp: What would Deron Williams think if Jerry Sloan coached the Nets?
Tom Smart, Deseret News
When the Nets fired Avery Johnson on Thursday, the media immediately began to speculate that the Nets' first choice would be Phil Jackson. That got us thinking, "What if the Nets hired Jerry Sloan?"
A former NBA All-star, now-Brooklyn point guard Deron Williams has been widely blamed for the departure of Sloan, the legendary former coach of the Jazz, and Johnson's dismissal is now the second time in three seasons Williams' coach has been dismissed midseason.
Johnson is also the second coach to be dismissed this year in the NBA; previously, the L.A. Lakers fired Mike Brown after a disappointing start. Immediately, rumors of Jackson's return to the sideline began, and the situation is no different this time around, though it appears the Nets may have more interest in Jackson than he has in them.
During the last vacancy and during several other NBA offseason coaching vacancies, Sloan's name has surfaced, so we, the Deseret News sports staff, began to wonder how Williams would react if Sloan decided to coach the Nets.
Watch @desnewssports for a #DNHuddleUp question every Wednesday. Reply with the hashtag #DNHuddleUp to be a part of the huddle.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28