#DNHuddleUp: What would Deron Williams think if Jerry Sloan coached the Nets?
Tom Smart, Deseret News
When the Nets fired Avery Johnson on Thursday, the media immediately began to speculate that the Nets' first choice would be Phil Jackson. That got us thinking, "What if the Nets hired Jerry Sloan?"
A former NBA All-star, now-Brooklyn point guard Deron Williams has been widely blamed for the departure of Sloan, the legendary former coach of the Jazz, and Johnson's dismissal is now the second time in three seasons Williams' coach has been dismissed midseason.
Johnson is also the second coach to be dismissed this year in the NBA; previously, the L.A. Lakers fired Mike Brown after a disappointing start. Immediately, rumors of Jackson's return to the sideline began, and the situation is no different this time around, though it appears the Nets may have more interest in Jackson than he has in them.
During the last vacancy and during several other NBA offseason coaching vacancies, Sloan's name has surfaced, so we, the Deseret News sports staff, began to wonder how Williams would react if Sloan decided to coach the Nets.
Watch @desnewssports for a #DNHuddleUp question every Wednesday. Reply with the hashtag #DNHuddleUp to be a part of the huddle.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 28
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22