OGDEN — Police are looking for two men who entered a mall jewelry store and stole 60 to 70 items in the middle of the afternoon.
Two men entered Morgan Jewelers at Newgate Mall, 3651 Wall Ave., around 4:30 p.m. and broke into a jewelry case. The theft was caught on surveillance video.
"It appears they entered with the intention to take jewelry out of one of the cases," Ogden Police Lt. Will Cragun said. "The suspects brought their own bag."
The men used some sort of tool to pry open the case before taking the jewelry and loading it into a bag. Cragun said the entire incident lasted about three minutes.
Police believe the suspects are likely from out of state and that they were experienced thieves.
"I would believe this wasn't the first time they'd done that," Cragun said. "They obviously knew what they were doing. They're somewhat technically proficient based on how they were able to get into the case."
The value of the stolen goods was unknown as the store continued to take inventory Friday.
Cragun said the men appeared to target the case. He said it was in the middle of the day, with other customers in the store.
"It's way brazen," Cragun said. "It doesn't appear that they were interrupted by any employees from what I could see. I don't know what was going on inside the store."
The surveillance video shows there was at least one employee in the store, but police say it's possible that employee was trying to avoid a confrontation and call for help.
The two suspects fled the store and were seen leaving in a red or maroon vehicle.
Police are checking with officials in other states to see if similar jewelry heists have occurred in their areas.
The suspects are described as two black men between the ages of 30 to 40, wearing dark clothing. Anyone with information on the robbery is asked to call the Ogden Police Department at 801-395-8221.
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden told...
- Apparent lightning strike hits Duchesne...
- Woman who drank toxic tea credits God, family...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 46
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 40
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22