High school boys basketball: Orem bounces back with win in South Carolina
MYTRTLE BEACH, S.C. — Orem High School bounced back from a disappointing showing on Thursday night with a 59-68 win over nationally-ranked Christ Presbyterian Academy, Tenn. on Friday afternoon at the Beach Ball Classic.
Both Orem and CPA — ranked No. 20 according to MaxPreps — lost their first round games on Thursday, but Orem was the sharper team in the consolation round.
Orem led 26-24 at the half with some good inside play by Orem's Dalton Nixon, a BYU commit, against CPA standout Jalen Lindsey, a Georgetown signee. Nixon held Lindsey to 14 points for the game, well below his season average of 24, and scored 17 points himself.
CPA's second-leading scorer Jake Allsmiller was held to just two points by a host of Orem defenders led by Zach Hunsaker, who scored 16 points.
Orem's starting five sat the bench plagued by fouls much of the game with standout subs Nolan Gray and Ethen Chatterley playing well down the stretch to hold on to the victory.
Orem sharpshooter Cooper Holt hit two big 3-pointers late in the game to help with the victory. Jordan Darger picked up a huge offensive rebound off a missed free throw and put in back in for the backbreaking bucket with 48 seconds remaining to seal the win.
Orem also won the all important rebound battle against a much bigger opponent, 40-32, with the Tigers grabbing 17 offensive rebounds.
CPA employed a trapping full-court press from start to finish that proved to be its downfall with Gray and Koel Cutler hitting several key layups down the stretch to finish off the top-ranked team from Nashville.
CPA was on a 36-game winning streak coming into the Beach Ball Classic, but it has now lost two straight.
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior season
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars past...
- Felt's Facts, championship edition: Breaking...
- Dick Harmon: Hard-hitting safety Craig Bills...
- Return to Utah allows Southern Virginia...
- Former BYU star Russell Larson enjoys...
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 133
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 85
- Dick Harmon: Every player on BYU's... 71
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utah Utes football: No. 23 Utes defeat... 52
- BYU to welcome FCS team Savannah State... 39
- Utes still have outside chance at... 26
- BYU gets bowl-eligible with 42-23 win... 25