High school boys basketball: Orem bounces back with win in South Carolina
MYTRTLE BEACH, S.C. — Orem High School bounced back from a disappointing showing on Thursday night with a 59-68 win over nationally-ranked Christ Presbyterian Academy, Tenn. on Friday afternoon at the Beach Ball Classic.
Both Orem and CPA — ranked No. 20 according to MaxPreps — lost their first round games on Thursday, but Orem was the sharper team in the consolation round.
Orem led 26-24 at the half with some good inside play by Orem's Dalton Nixon, a BYU commit, against CPA standout Jalen Lindsey, a Georgetown signee. Nixon held Lindsey to 14 points for the game, well below his season average of 24, and scored 17 points himself.
CPA's second-leading scorer Jake Allsmiller was held to just two points by a host of Orem defenders led by Zach Hunsaker, who scored 16 points.
Orem's starting five sat the bench plagued by fouls much of the game with standout subs Nolan Gray and Ethen Chatterley playing well down the stretch to hold on to the victory.
Orem sharpshooter Cooper Holt hit two big 3-pointers late in the game to help with the victory. Jordan Darger picked up a huge offensive rebound off a missed free throw and put in back in for the backbreaking bucket with 48 seconds remaining to seal the win.
Orem also won the all important rebound battle against a much bigger opponent, 40-32, with the Tigers grabbing 17 offensive rebounds.
CPA employed a trapping full-court press from start to finish that proved to be its downfall with Gray and Koel Cutler hitting several key layups down the stretch to finish off the top-ranked team from Nashville.
CPA was on a 36-game winning streak coming into the Beach Ball Classic, but it has now lost two straight.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 32
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25