UVU basketball: Wolverines competing at Dr Pepper Classic in Chattanooga
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - Utah Valley University will participate in the Dr Pepper Classic at Chattanooga for the second straight season, opening the tournament Friday at 4:30 p.m. ET/2:30 p.m. MT against Austin Peay State University.
The Wolverines (6-8) will then face either host Chattanooga or High Point on Saturday. Austin Peay, of the Ohio Valley Conference and located in Clarksville, Tenn., is 4-8 while Chattanooga enters the 23rd Dr Pepper Classic at 3-8 and High Point at 4-6. Those two teams will square off Friday at 7 p.m. ET.
At the 2012 classic, Keith Thompson’s late bucket pushed UVU past Hampton and into the title game against Chattanooga; a game the Mocs won 74-59.
“We enjoy the in-season, four-team championship tournament format and the players enjoy the opportunity to play for a championship,” UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker said. "Chattanooga is a great host and it will be a very competitive field."
UVU split a pair of games last week, defeating Troy 67-64, in overtime before falling short in a late comeback against North Carolina Central, 73-67.
Nick Thompson scored 19 points and Alfonzo Hubbard matched career-highs as a Wolverine with 19 points and nine rebounds in the loss to NCCU. Thompson had his third double-double of the year with 13 points and 12 rebounds against Troy, averaging 16.0 points and 10.0 rebounds in the two games to earn himself a share of the Great West Conference Player of the Week award.
Austin Peay has lost four straight under 23rd-year head coach Dave Loos, who also serves as the University’s director of athletics. Travis Betran leads the team with 15.4 points per game. Anthony Campbell led the Governors with 20 points in their most recent contest at Illinois State. Campbell is second on the team with 13.8 per game.
“Austin Peay is a young team trying to blend multiple newcomers together. Coach Loos is an outstanding veteran coach that always has his team well-prepared,” Hunsaker said.
APSU is the first Ohio Valley Conference team Utah Valley will face in its short NCAA Division I history.
Following the Dr Pepper Classic, UVU will begin its final Great West Conference season Jan. 5 at home against NJIT.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- Utah Jazz excited for a crack at undefeated...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 102
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 50
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 41
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 28
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 25
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 25