High school boys basketball: Wasatch Academy, South Sevier are clear-cut favorites in 2A
Richfield’s coach acknowledges that beating South Sevier won’t be easy, but said the key is not conceding easy buckets and making the rival Rams work for points.
Wasatch Academy’s toughest test in Region 16 should come from Manti — which split the season series last year. Gunnison is a talented team that can compete on any given night, while first-year school Merit Academy has turned heads with a 7-1 preseason record.
Down south, Beaver has emerged as the team to beat in Region 13.
With returning starters Braxton Williams, Michael Roberts and Smokey Osborn leading the way, the Beavers are 8-0 this preseason, including an impressive 55-47 win over Emery.
Trying to figure out Region 14 isn’t quite as easy.
South Summit seemed like the favorite back in November, but Hatch isn’t quite so sure anymore.
“We’re so up and down. We play well one game and we have a hard time even competing again in the next,” said Hatch, whose Wildcats are 4-5 this preseason.
Improved Rowland Hall under new coach Aaron Hinton and first-year program Summit Academy are poised to seize the region title if South Summit doesn’t get things figured out soon.
Deseret News 2A region projections
Note: Projections were picked by the Deseret News staff based on observations from the first month of the season.
1. South Summit
2. Rowland Hall
3. Summit Academy
4. North Summit
5. Maeser Prep
1. South Sevier
3. San Juan
1. Wasatch Academy
4. Merit Academy
5. North Sevier
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- 4A boys basketball tournament quarterfinal...
- High school boys basketball: Viewmont's...
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest for...
- Morning links: Utah coaching job ranked; NFL...
- 3A boys state tournament quarterfinal live...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 86
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 79
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 52
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 42
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 28