'Doctrine and Covenants Reference Companion' is a thorough resource
Editor's note: Mormon Times is highlighting several new books on the Doctrine and Covenants, which is the focus of the Sunday School curriculum for 2013.
“DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS REFERENCE COMPANION,” by Dennis Largey, general editor, and Larry E. Dahl, senior editor, Deseret Book, $59.99, 920 pages (nf)
The “Doctrine and Covenants Reference Companion” is an informative and exhaustive resource that is the result of the work of about 170 people, including 127 authors.
The Doctrine and Covenants is a collection of revelations and writings, mostly from the Prophet Joseph Smith, from the days of the Restoration of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and includes some more recent declarations, too.
The first and largest section (just more than 700 pages) of the "Reference Companion" is an encyclopedic-style listing of doctrinal topics, and every person and place mentioned in the revelations and doctrinal topics from Aaron to Zoramites.
About 150 pages are devoted to providing historical context to each section in the Doctrine and Covenants, section by section.
The five appendices include section numbers for the six principle editions of the Doctrine and Covenants, prophecies and promises listed through the book, and first publications of the book in languages other and than English.
The list of scholars is impressive and their work shows in the thorough research.
It’s a large book — 920 pages — but it breaks down the research, topics and other information in easy-to-find pieces that help give context for both those new to the Doctrine and Covenants and those looking to delve deeper into their studies.
More recently released books about the Doctrine and Covenants
"The Savior in Kirtland" by Karl Ricks Anderson
"Little-Know Stories about the Doctrine and Covenants" by Dan Baker
"You Shall Have My Word: Exploring the Text of the Doctrine & Covenants: the 41st Annual Brigham Young University Sidney Symposium"
"Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia: Revised Edition," by Hoyt W. Brewster Jr.
Books about President Lorenzo Snow
- Would BYU honor code be better with an...
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- LDS Church outlines how it prevents child...
- One year ago, founding member of SEAL Team...
- Mormon man's rap album hits No. 1 spot on...
- Sister Linda K. Burton speaks at BYU Women's...
- Why pray? Different faiths are united over...
- Primary general presidency makes public...
- Would BYU honor code be better with an... 71
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 49
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Defending the Faith: Taking a 'Leap of... 36
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 31
- ... 29
- Should your boss know that you keep the... 26
- The benefits some families see from... 16