Storm causes nearly 100 reported accidents along Wasatch Front
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A winter storm that started Wednesday picked up again Thursday morning, providing a commuter special for those going to work.
Numerous slide-offs and slushy to snow-packed roads were reported around the valley. From midnight to 10 a.m., the Utah Highway Patrol recorded 46 accidents in Salt Lake County, with five of those involving minor injuries; 24 accidents in Davis County; and 19 accidents in Utah County, with four of those involving minor injuries.
Just after 7 a.m., the Utah Department of Transportation reported an accident involving two semitrailers had shut down all lanes of westbound I-80 in Parleys Canyon near the quarry. No one was seriously injured.
About 6:20 a.m., another semitrailer jackknifed on southbound I-15 near 13200 South. Several lanes were blocked initially, causing slowing and backing in the area. A second jackknifed semi was reported about 30 minutes later on northbound I-15 at 2400 North.
Little Cottonwood Canyon was closed until 8:30 a.m. for avalanche control. Chains were required Thursday for trucks in Parleys Canyon, and chains or four-wheel drive were required for motorists on U.S. 189 in Utah County.
A winter weather advisory, issued by the National Weather Service, was expected to be lifted by Friday morning. The forecast calls for a 30 percent chance of snow Friday and some clouds through the weekend, with a slight chance of snow Sunday night.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 63
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 33
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 26
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17