Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A winter storm that started Wednesday picked up again Thursday morning, providing a commuter special for those going to work.
Numerous slide-offs and slushy to snow-packed roads were reported around the valley. From midnight to 10 a.m., the Utah Highway Patrol recorded 46 accidents in Salt Lake County, with five of those involving minor injuries; 24 accidents in Davis County; and 19 accidents in Utah County, with four of those involving minor injuries.
Just after 7 a.m., the Utah Department of Transportation reported an accident involving two semitrailers had shut down all lanes of westbound I-80 in Parleys Canyon near the quarry. No one was seriously injured.
About 6:20 a.m., another semitrailer jackknifed on southbound I-15 near 13200 South. Several lanes were blocked initially, causing slowing and backing in the area. A second jackknifed semi was reported about 30 minutes later on northbound I-15 at 2400 North.
Little Cottonwood Canyon was closed until 8:30 a.m. for avalanche control. Chains were required Thursday for trucks in Parleys Canyon, and chains or four-wheel drive were required for motorists on U.S. 189 in Utah County.
A winter weather advisory, issued by the National Weather Service, was expected to be lifted by Friday morning. The forecast calls for a 30 percent chance of snow Friday and some clouds through the weekend, with a slight chance of snow Sunday night.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- As winter takes hold, needs increase for...
- Orem man accused of killing wife threatened...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- December storms boost Utah's snowpack
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 110
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 27
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 20
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19