Storm causes nearly 100 reported accidents along Wasatch Front
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A winter storm that started Wednesday picked up again Thursday morning, providing a commuter special for those going to work.
Numerous slide-offs and slushy to snow-packed roads were reported around the valley. From midnight to 10 a.m., the Utah Highway Patrol recorded 46 accidents in Salt Lake County, with five of those involving minor injuries; 24 accidents in Davis County; and 19 accidents in Utah County, with four of those involving minor injuries.
Just after 7 a.m., the Utah Department of Transportation reported an accident involving two semitrailers had shut down all lanes of westbound I-80 in Parleys Canyon near the quarry. No one was seriously injured.
About 6:20 a.m., another semitrailer jackknifed on southbound I-15 near 13200 South. Several lanes were blocked initially, causing slowing and backing in the area. A second jackknifed semi was reported about 30 minutes later on northbound I-15 at 2400 North.
Little Cottonwood Canyon was closed until 8:30 a.m. for avalanche control. Chains were required Thursday for trucks in Parleys Canyon, and chains or four-wheel drive were required for motorists on U.S. 189 in Utah County.
A winter weather advisory, issued by the National Weather Service, was expected to be lifted by Friday morning. The forecast calls for a 30 percent chance of snow Friday and some clouds through the weekend, with a slight chance of snow Sunday night.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Creativity of ALS ice bucket challenge boosts...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Bingham High students walk out over... 92
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 27
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18