Storm causes nearly 100 reported accidents along Wasatch Front
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A winter storm that started Wednesday picked up again Thursday morning, providing a commuter special for those going to work.
Numerous slide-offs and slushy to snow-packed roads were reported around the valley. From midnight to 10 a.m., the Utah Highway Patrol recorded 46 accidents in Salt Lake County, with five of those involving minor injuries; 24 accidents in Davis County; and 19 accidents in Utah County, with four of those involving minor injuries.
Just after 7 a.m., the Utah Department of Transportation reported an accident involving two semitrailers had shut down all lanes of westbound I-80 in Parleys Canyon near the quarry. No one was seriously injured.
About 6:20 a.m., another semitrailer jackknifed on southbound I-15 near 13200 South. Several lanes were blocked initially, causing slowing and backing in the area. A second jackknifed semi was reported about 30 minutes later on northbound I-15 at 2400 North.
Little Cottonwood Canyon was closed until 8:30 a.m. for avalanche control. Chains were required Thursday for trucks in Parleys Canyon, and chains or four-wheel drive were required for motorists on U.S. 189 in Utah County.
A winter weather advisory, issued by the National Weather Service, was expected to be lifted by Friday morning. The forecast calls for a 30 percent chance of snow Friday and some clouds through the weekend, with a slight chance of snow Sunday night.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16