Storm causes nearly 100 reported accidents along Wasatch Front
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A winter storm that started Wednesday picked up again Thursday morning, providing a commuter special for those going to work.
Numerous slide-offs and slushy to snow-packed roads were reported around the valley. From midnight to 10 a.m., the Utah Highway Patrol recorded 46 accidents in Salt Lake County, with five of those involving minor injuries; 24 accidents in Davis County; and 19 accidents in Utah County, with four of those involving minor injuries.
Just after 7 a.m., the Utah Department of Transportation reported an accident involving two semitrailers had shut down all lanes of westbound I-80 in Parleys Canyon near the quarry. No one was seriously injured.
About 6:20 a.m., another semitrailer jackknifed on southbound I-15 near 13200 South. Several lanes were blocked initially, causing slowing and backing in the area. A second jackknifed semi was reported about 30 minutes later on northbound I-15 at 2400 North.
Little Cottonwood Canyon was closed until 8:30 a.m. for avalanche control. Chains were required Thursday for trucks in Parleys Canyon, and chains or four-wheel drive were required for motorists on U.S. 189 in Utah County.
A winter weather advisory, issued by the National Weather Service, was expected to be lifted by Friday morning. The forecast calls for a 30 percent chance of snow Friday and some clouds through the weekend, with a slight chance of snow Sunday night.
- Security, authorities detain woman...
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- River rafters discover wreckage of aircraft...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- 'I just can't say 'I'm sorry' enough': Woman...
- Police say man persuaded Provo High boys to...
- Pentagon: Live anthrax samples mistakenly...
- Police: More than 100 Sanpete County homes...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 37
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 21
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 16
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 13
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12