Westminster basketball: women return to play at GSAC Challenge
SALT LAKE CITY – The fifth-ranked Westminster College women’s basketball team returns to play after an 11-day layoff on Friday when the team begins play at the GSAC Challenge against San Diego Christian (Calif.) at 2 p.m. Westminster will the play the host squad, No. 4 Westmont (Calif.), on Saturday at 6:30 p.m.to complete the non-conference schedule of games for the season.
Westminster will return to action with a 10-2 overall record and riding a two-game winning streak. The Griffins have gone 6-1 in road games this season and 7-1 in all games played away from Salt Lake City. They are coming off a 2-0 road trip to Oklahoma where they defeated No. 14 Rogers State (Okla.), 68-65, and Oklahoma Baptist, 55-39.
Going further into the records, Westminster is 3-1 this season when facing a team that was ranked in the NAIA Top 25 at the time of the meeting. They will face another of those Saturday when they play No. 4 Westmont. The Griffins have a 7-0 record when leading at the half and are 8-0 when they hold the lead with five minutes remaining. They are 31-1 dating back to last season when leading at the 5-minute mark of the second half.
Westminster is scoring 61.3 points per game this season and rank fourth in the Frontier Conference by shooting 40.4 percent from the floor. The Griffins are eighth in the NAIA in 3-point percentage at 37 percent and make 7.58 treys per outing to place 12th in the country. As a team, Westminster shoots 72.8 percent at the foul line to rank 10th nationally and are 23rd in assists at 15.17 per contest.
Griffin opponents are scoring just 53.17 points per game to place Westminster 17th in the NAIA is scoring defense. The opposition shoots 37.6 percent from the field and 29 percent from beyond the arc. Westminster has held their opponent to less than 60 points in nine games and are a perfect 9-0 in those situations. The Griffins force 15.75 turnovers per outing while averaging 8.5 steals and 2.17 blocked shots per game.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24