OGDEN — Police are asking for the public's help in finding a driver involved in a fatal hit-and-run accident in Ogden on Christmas Eve.
David Paul Saures, 56, of Ogden, was crossing Wall Avenue near 26th Street with his wife about 6:30 p.m.
Ogden Police Lt. Chad Ledford said Saures made it across three of the four traffic lanes but was struck just before reaching the other side. His wife, who was walking behind Saures, was not injured.
Witnesses said the vehicle that hit Saures briefly pulled over after the accident before driving off.
Saures was homeless and was walking back to the homeless shelter, according to his brother, Robert Moore. Now, the family is pleading for the driver who hit Saures to surrender to authorities.
"If you can, confess and come forward," Moore said, "because something bad has happened to us, and something bad has happened to you. And that's why they call it an accident. We try to forgive and forget … but since this accident has happened, we haven't had Christmastime."
Police were looking for a dark-colored, four-door sedan that will have significant front-end damage, including damage to the windshield. Anyone with information can call police at 801-629-8221.
Ledford said it had been snowing earlier in the day, but conditions were listed as "clear" at the time of the accident, he said. There was no crossing light or crosswalk where Saures was hit.
Contributing: Mike Anderson
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- As winter takes hold, needs increase for...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Orem man accused of killing wife threatened...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 106
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 26
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19