Police identify man killed in Ogden hit-and-run, seek information on driver
OGDEN — Police are asking for the public's help in finding a driver involved in a fatal hit-and-run accident in Ogden on Christmas Eve.
David Paul Saures, 56, of Ogden, was crossing Wall Avenue near 26th Street with his wife about 6:30 p.m.
Ogden Police Lt. Chad Ledford said Saures made it across three of the four traffic lanes but was struck just before reaching the other side. His wife, who was walking behind Saures, was not injured.
Witnesses said the vehicle that hit Saures briefly pulled over after the accident before driving off.
Saures was homeless and was walking back to the homeless shelter, according to his brother, Robert Moore. Now, the family is pleading for the driver who hit Saures to surrender to authorities.
"If you can, confess and come forward," Moore said, "because something bad has happened to us, and something bad has happened to you. And that's why they call it an accident. We try to forgive and forget … but since this accident has happened, we haven't had Christmastime."
Police were looking for a dark-colored, four-door sedan that will have significant front-end damage, including damage to the windshield. Anyone with information can call police at 801-629-8221.
Ledford said it had been snowing earlier in the day, but conditions were listed as "clear" at the time of the accident, he said. There was no crossing light or crosswalk where Saures was hit.
Contributing: Mike Anderson
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 78
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11