Police identify man killed in Ogden hit-and-run, seek information on driver
OGDEN — Police are asking for the public's help in finding a driver involved in a fatal hit-and-run accident in Ogden on Christmas Eve.
David Paul Saures, 56, of Ogden, was crossing Wall Avenue near 26th Street with his wife about 6:30 p.m.
Ogden Police Lt. Chad Ledford said Saures made it across three of the four traffic lanes but was struck just before reaching the other side. His wife, who was walking behind Saures, was not injured.
Witnesses said the vehicle that hit Saures briefly pulled over after the accident before driving off.
Saures was homeless and was walking back to the homeless shelter, according to his brother, Robert Moore. Now, the family is pleading for the driver who hit Saures to surrender to authorities.
"If you can, confess and come forward," Moore said, "because something bad has happened to us, and something bad has happened to you. And that's why they call it an accident. We try to forgive and forget … but since this accident has happened, we haven't had Christmastime."
Police were looking for a dark-colored, four-door sedan that will have significant front-end damage, including damage to the windshield. Anyone with information can call police at 801-629-8221.
Ledford said it had been snowing earlier in the day, but conditions were listed as "clear" at the time of the accident, he said. There was no crossing light or crosswalk where Saures was hit.
Contributing: Mike Anderson
- Victim of Washington Terrace homicide...
- Deedee Corradini, Salt Lake's first and only...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- K2 The Church's grand opening a neighborhood...
- Doug Robinson: A Boy Scout for 75 years ......
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 54
- Illinois professor could help Utah... 43
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 25
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 24
- With Healthy Utah stalled, lives still... 18
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 18
- Lawmakers consider academic turnaround... 17
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 17