WEST VALLEY CITY — A Utah-based weapons gear supplier and the Utah Shooting Sports Council are sponsoring a free concealed carry class and mass violence response training session for school employees.
OPSGEAR and the USSC are hosting a "Safe to Learn. Safe to Teach" course and want to help all school employees better protect themselves and their students, according to a press release. The course is Thursday at the Maverik Center Centennial Room from noon-6 p.m.
All of the training, fingerprinting and photos for the concealed carry permit will be provided; however, the course does not cover the state application fee of $46.
OPSGEAR, which is based in North Salt Lake, and the USSC said in a press release that they have received many requests for firearms training and advice from teachers in the wake of the mass school shootings in Newtown, Conn.
Clark Aposhian, chairman of the USSC, will teach the concealed carry course.
Those interested should email firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, school and the number of guests attending. School workers will be required to bring a district or school ID to verify employment.
Additionally, employees can bring a spouse, friend or loved one to attend for a $35 fee that will go to charity. Weapons are allowed at the class but must not be loaded.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 38
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 31
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14
- Elder Richard G. Scott released from... 12