Eve program: “I have four children of various ages and have struggled over the years to try to make Jesus more important during Christmas than Santa Claus.” So what does this blogger do? “On Christmas Eve we focus exclusively on Christ. I’ve tried reenacting the Christmas story, among other things but what I love and have done for the last several years is to use the Christmas program in the church’s Family Home Evening Manual. We usually invite another family over for dinner and I strongly encourage my children to perform some musical numbers, but the highlight of the evening is when we all sit down, open our scriptures and read the Christmas story interspersed with hymns and Christmas songs.” And nicely, she has put together this Christmas program into pdf form to easily print and use. Click in to download for your family.
Eve movies: This blogger has been counting down the last week to Christmas with short movies produced by the church. Titled “A Week of Short Movies which Share the True Meaning of Christmas,” this post is full of great resources, including “Wise Men Still Seek Him” and “The Greatest Gift” to incorporate into your Christmas Eve viewing. Enjoy!
Eve history: How did these missionaries celebrate the evening in 1900: “The people here have a great way of celebrating Christmas. They shoot away more [illegible: guns? fireworks?] than is shot on the 4th of July. We had plenty of it Christmas eve.” Click to see other ways elders historically celebrated Christmas in the “Southern States Mission.”
Eve ideas: Far from family, what does this family do on Christmas Eve? Make up their own traditions, invite friends over for a holiday meal and break bread with the local missionaries. Wow. Click in to find lots of good “Christmas Eve Ideas” and recipes for making the holiday more memorable.
Emily W. Jensen updates "Today in the Bloggernacle" on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, presenting the best from the world of LDS-oriented blog sites. Her extended "Bloggernacle Back Bench" appears on Tuesdays. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Are church youth dances outdated?
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms. Virginia...
- Rare LDS Church document discovered that...
- Defending the Faith: The mystery of the...
- Joseph and Emma Smith as parents
- Elder Nelson dedicates Life Sciences...
- Defending the Faith: The mystery of the... 72
- Faith groups urge Supreme Court to... 61
- Are church youth dances outdated? 56
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms.... 38
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries... 37
- Elder Nelson dedicates Life Sciences... 13
- Okla. attorney general wants private... 12
- Thousands of Churches to Join April 26... 10