Utah Jazz: Jazz come back from early deficit, sneak away with win in Orlando
Sunday's narrow 97-93 win for the Jazz came down to free-throw shooting in the final minute. The Jazz made all but one, and Orlando missed.
After two free-throw makes by Randy Foye, Utah had a four-point advantage with 17 seconds remaining. Only seconds later, Orlando shooting guard J.J. Redick kept the pressure on the visiting team by sinking a quick 3-pointer and slicing the Jazz lead to one.
Jazz forward Paul Millsap was sent to the free-throw line and made 1 of 2.
Then, with the game clock winding down and Utah up by two points, the Jazz fouled Orlando forward Gustavo Ayon going to the basket. He missed the first one, and Utah got the rebound when Ayon missed the second one intentionally.
The Jazz started the game in a slump and found themselves down by 16 points early in the second quarter. However, they got their feet under them and finished the quarter on a 15-3 run in the final six minutes of the first half.
The Jazz finished with six players in double figures, including highs from Paul Millsap with 18 points and Gordon Hayward with 17 points.
Alec Burks made his presence felt off the bench tonight, although he only finished with eight points, he was plus-17 in the plus-minus column.
Orlando shooting guard Arron Afflalo chipped in a game-high 20 points in 38 minutes of play.
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- 3A boys state tournament roundup: Pine View...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- 4A boys state tournament roundup: Bountiful...
- High school boys basketball: Kearns marches...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in... 24
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 24