Recent survey confirms BYU has strong national fan base
"I've really enjoyed playing at different facilities in different states, and seeing how excited BYU supporters are in that are to have BYU come," Mendenhall said. "That's been really interesting to see how passionate they've been to come to the firesides, come to the games and support the team. It's really refreshing to see the sincerity of support. I really enjoy that."
Next season, BYU is scheduled to play at Virginia, at Houston, at Wisconsin, at Notre Dame and at Hawaii. Future games are scheduled at Texas, at Middle Tennessee, at Nebraska, at Michigan, at Southern Miss, at Cincinnati, at Boise State, at Central Florida, at East Carolina and against West Virginia in Landover, Md.
"Most (opposing) coaches marvel at our support. I think what it really shows is there's so much more to BYU than just football," Mendenhall said after the Cougars' 50-14 victory over New Mexico State on Nov. 24. "I love our fans at home, there's a phenomenal commitment though from the ones that travel and show up when we play on the road. They're so excited to see us. That's been a great thing about independence. There are some unique places we're playing. For those fans that don't usually get to see us in person, you talk to them and they're appreciative. That's a pretty cool thing."
Mendenhall enjoys the exposure his team is receiving thanks to ESPN, too.
"Last year, there are only five teams that were seen by national audiences than us," he said. "That's a fantastic thing for our program and for the message our institution has and for BYU football."
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26