Recent survey confirms BYU has strong national fan base
"I've really enjoyed playing at different facilities in different states, and seeing how excited BYU supporters are in that are to have BYU come," Mendenhall said. "That's been really interesting to see how passionate they've been to come to the firesides, come to the games and support the team. It's really refreshing to see the sincerity of support. I really enjoy that."
Next season, BYU is scheduled to play at Virginia, at Houston, at Wisconsin, at Notre Dame and at Hawaii. Future games are scheduled at Texas, at Middle Tennessee, at Nebraska, at Michigan, at Southern Miss, at Cincinnati, at Boise State, at Central Florida, at East Carolina and against West Virginia in Landover, Md.
"Most (opposing) coaches marvel at our support. I think what it really shows is there's so much more to BYU than just football," Mendenhall said after the Cougars' 50-14 victory over New Mexico State on Nov. 24. "I love our fans at home, there's a phenomenal commitment though from the ones that travel and show up when we play on the road. They're so excited to see us. That's been a great thing about independence. There are some unique places we're playing. For those fans that don't usually get to see us in person, you talk to them and they're appreciative. That's a pretty cool thing."
Mendenhall enjoys the exposure his team is receiving thanks to ESPN, too.
"Last year, there are only five teams that were seen by national audiences than us," he said. "That's a fantastic thing for our program and for the message our institution has and for BYU football."
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 109
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 80
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33