Emilie Parker laid to rest; family, governor call her an inspiration to all
"This state mourns for you and for your loss. We attempt to comfort you at this difficult time," Gov. Herbert said. "We certainly pray that your burdens might be light and God's spirit comforts you."
Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, spoke of the resurrection, and of families reuniting and being together again one day.
"We weep at the tragic loss of such a sweet child of God," Elder Cook said. "I don't think there was a tree or fence anywhere that didn't have a pink ribbon…..Our doctrine is clear, Emilie is safe in the Celestial Kingdom of heaven."
Emilie's LDS bishop from Connecticut conducted the funeral service. Her stake president, David Checketts of Connecticut was also in attendance.
"I represent the people of Newton today, and the Parker family," bishop Brett Keller said. "When they are ready to come home, we will be waiting for them with open arms."
Keller delivered reassuring words to the Parker family, telling them that adults do their best to protect the innocence of children and they leave it up to Heavenly Father to do the rest. Right now, he said Heavenly Father was taking care of everything else.
"Emilie has always had a heart of gold, you know that, it remains so today and it will remain so forever."
A large number of riders from the motorcycle clubs Bikers Against Child Abuse and Sober Riders participated in the funeral procession, following the hearse from the church to the cemetery.
Interment for Emilie was at Myers Evergreen Memorial Park, 100 Monroe Blvd.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Families need to know of dying decision to...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- U.K. doctors embrace e-cigarettes as U.S....
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Utah can't arrest its way out of heroin, pain...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 50
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 48
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21