Lana Gehring, J.R. Celski dominate at U.S. Short Track Speedskating Championships
Celski and the FAST athletes train with their coaches at the Utah Olympic Oval. The U.S. National Team athletes train under an interim coach who will be replaced with Thibault next week at the Oval as well.
But Gehring now trains with five other U.S. athletes at Steiner Ice Rink under Chun's guidance (Salt Lake International Club). Chun is not allowed to attend any of the World Cups or national races, nor will he be allowed to coach her rink side at the Olympic Games should she make the team. Gehring said they are working on her skills and confidence so she needs less support on race day.
Regardless, Gehring said she's finally feeling motivated and back on track — literally — after a tumultuous and gut-wrenching fall. She's also not just skating for herself.
"I really want to win," she said. "Every time I go across the finish line, it's like he's winning. It's very emotional."
Gehring won the 1500 with a time of 2:27.944, while Emily Scott was second (2:28.087) and Jessica Smith was third (2:29.408). Celski won the men's 1500 with a time of 2:25.719, while Jeff Simon was second (2:25.930) and Travis Jayner third (2:26.281).
In the 500, Celski won in 41.365, followed by Chris Chreveling (41.934) and Eddy Alvarez (47.865).
Gehring won the women's 500 with a time of 44.992, followed by Alyson Dudek (44.539) and Jessica Smith (44.805).
The third day of competition resumes Saturday at 10:30 a.m. The races include the 1000 meter and 3000 meter. After the races, the U.S. champions will be crowned and the World Cup and World Championship teams will be announced.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25