Lana Gehring, J.R. Celski dominate at U.S. Short Track Speedskating Championships
Celski and the FAST athletes train with their coaches at the Utah Olympic Oval. The U.S. National Team athletes train under an interim coach who will be replaced with Thibault next week at the Oval as well.
But Gehring now trains with five other U.S. athletes at Steiner Ice Rink under Chun's guidance (Salt Lake International Club). Chun is not allowed to attend any of the World Cups or national races, nor will he be allowed to coach her rink side at the Olympic Games should she make the team. Gehring said they are working on her skills and confidence so she needs less support on race day.
Regardless, Gehring said she's finally feeling motivated and back on track — literally — after a tumultuous and gut-wrenching fall. She's also not just skating for herself.
"I really want to win," she said. "Every time I go across the finish line, it's like he's winning. It's very emotional."
Gehring won the 1500 with a time of 2:27.944, while Emily Scott was second (2:28.087) and Jessica Smith was third (2:29.408). Celski won the men's 1500 with a time of 2:25.719, while Jeff Simon was second (2:25.930) and Travis Jayner third (2:26.281).
In the 500, Celski won in 41.365, followed by Chris Chreveling (41.934) and Eddy Alvarez (47.865).
Gehring won the women's 500 with a time of 44.992, followed by Alyson Dudek (44.539) and Jessica Smith (44.805).
The third day of competition resumes Saturday at 10:30 a.m. The races include the 1000 meter and 3000 meter. After the races, the U.S. champions will be crowned and the World Cup and World Championship teams will be announced.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45