Lana Gehring, J.R. Celski dominate at U.S. Short Track Speedskating Championships
Celski and the FAST athletes train with their coaches at the Utah Olympic Oval. The U.S. National Team athletes train under an interim coach who will be replaced with Thibault next week at the Oval as well.
But Gehring now trains with five other U.S. athletes at Steiner Ice Rink under Chun's guidance (Salt Lake International Club). Chun is not allowed to attend any of the World Cups or national races, nor will he be allowed to coach her rink side at the Olympic Games should she make the team. Gehring said they are working on her skills and confidence so she needs less support on race day.
Regardless, Gehring said she's finally feeling motivated and back on track — literally — after a tumultuous and gut-wrenching fall. She's also not just skating for herself.
"I really want to win," she said. "Every time I go across the finish line, it's like he's winning. It's very emotional."
Gehring won the 1500 with a time of 2:27.944, while Emily Scott was second (2:28.087) and Jessica Smith was third (2:29.408). Celski won the men's 1500 with a time of 2:25.719, while Jeff Simon was second (2:25.930) and Travis Jayner third (2:26.281).
In the 500, Celski won in 41.365, followed by Chris Chreveling (41.934) and Eddy Alvarez (47.865).
Gehring won the women's 500 with a time of 44.992, followed by Alyson Dudek (44.539) and Jessica Smith (44.805).
The third day of competition resumes Saturday at 10:30 a.m. The races include the 1000 meter and 3000 meter. After the races, the U.S. champions will be crowned and the World Cup and World Championship teams will be announced.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new walk-on...
- Langi, Tuiloma to help anchor middle of BYU's...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- BYU coaches happy about development of...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 57
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 47
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 27