Roy women shot 4 times warns others to leave bad relationships

Published: Friday, Dec. 21 2012 6:20 p.m. MST

In her mind, that meant he was going to go for the loaded handgun they kept on a shelf. Vicky Locke ran to the front door and was trying to unlock it when the first shot was fired from the staircase less than 30 feet away.

"I felt it hit me, then a second one hit me," she said.

As she fumbled to get the door open, the frequency of shots increased as she stumbled outside the doorway.

"I looked down and the blood was already covering the whole front of my pants and down to my knee."

A total of eight shots were fired. At her house on Friday, several bullet holes were evident around the door frame, even though the family had attempted to cover them up.

"My (5-year-old son) had to do something that no little boy should have to do — he cut little pieces of round paper to cover the bullet holes in my wall so we didn't have to see them," she said while fighting back tears.

A couple of bullets went through the walls and the siding on the exterior of the house.

As Vicky Locke was receiving help from neighbors down the street, one of Smith's friends, a woman named Brandi, walked into the Locke residence before police arrived, unaware there was a problem. She found Christopher Locke sitting on the stairs, this time with an assault rifle. She asked him what was going on.

Brandi said Locke started to cry and allegedly told her, "I think I did something bad."

Chris Locke then got his 5-year-old son — who had slept through the incident — out of bed.

"He got him dressed, told him that he loved him very much, told him that he wasn't going to be around for a long, long time and basically said his goodbyes, and gave (his son) to Brandi and asked Brandi to take him out to police," Vicky Locke said.

After she left, the standoff with police began.

Today, Locke walks with a slight limp with the assistance of the cane and her left eye is still blackened from being punched in the face. But she believes it will be a good Christmas for her family. A friend convinced a Santa Claus from a local mall to visit their house — and her young son — on Thursday.

"All of us sat here and we smiled like little kids, and it was the most awesome experience," she said.

Vicky Locke said a protective order from the court has been approved and she plans to file for divorce. Although she said the family tried to speak positively about her husband around their 5-year-old son, she no longer wants contact with him.

His next court date is scheduled for Jan. 4.

What the experience has also taught her, she said, is that there are resources available for victims she didn't know existed. She wasn't aware of the Christmas Box House until the night of the shooting when the state placed her son in temporary protective custody while she was in the hospital.

"There are more resources out there than I ever knew."

A fund to help Locke pay for her medical bills and other expenses was set up at www.gofundme.com/1pd8to.

People seeking help for themselves or someone they know for domestic violence can call the Utah Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-897-LINK (5465), or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).

The Utah Domestic Violence Council tabulated 28 domestic violence-related deaths in Utah from July 2010 to June 2011. During that same time, nearly 2,000 protective orders were issued and 3,750 domestic violence related charges were filed statewide.

According to the Utah Department of Public Safety's most recent statewide crime statistics for 2010, the groups most victimized in domestic violence cases are children. The second biggest group of domestic violence victims are boyfriends and girlfriends. Spousal abuse is the third biggest group.

E-mail: preavy@desnews.com

Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere