Roy women shot 4 times warns others to leave bad relationships

Published: Friday, Dec. 21 2012 6:20 p.m. MST

Vicky Locke shows bullet holes in the front of her Roy home Friday, Dec. 21, 2012. She was shot several times, allegedly by her husband, Christopher Locke, during a drunken fight. A family friend, Haley Smith, was also injured in the altercation.

Scott G Winterton, Deseret News

ROY — She had asked him if he could please stop smacking his lips when he ate.

The next thing Vicky Locke knew, she had been shot four times and was scrambling to get out of her house alive.

A domestic violence argument almost turned deadly when police say a very drunk and angry Christopher Locke fired multiple rounds at his wife inside their Roy house, 3792 W. 4750 South. After allegedly shooting at least eight rounds at his wife with a .9mm handgun, striking her several times, Locke got an assault rifle from his basement and walked outside his house, apparently looking for Vicky.

Following a two-hour standoff with police, Christopher Locke, 41, was taken in custody.

Today, Vicky Locke is out of the hospital and back home. Her pelvis was cracked by one of the bullets and she'll need a cane to help her walk for the next month as her injuries heal. But she's expected to make a full recovery.

Her husband remained in the Weber County Jail on no bail and faces charges of attempted murder, assault, domestic violence in the presence of a child, and carrying a gun while under the influence.

Now, Locke wants to let others know what happened to her in order to prevent another woman from having to go through what she did — or worse. The problem with her husband, she said, is alcohol.

"If you are in this situation and if the person you're with doesn't seek the help, then you need to leave because they're never going to do it. They won't. If they go out and seek it on their own just because you tell them to do it, they're not going to do it, You've got to get out, because it's not going to get better, it's going to get worse," she said.

On the night she was shot, Vicki Locke said her husband had been drinking very heavily, finishing nearly an entire bottle of vodka in less than 90 minutes. Court documents noted that after Locke was arrested, he "smelled heavily of alcohol, had poor balance, and red, bloodshot, glassy eyes."

Family members said they knew that when Christopher Locke started drinking, it was time to leave the house. And he drank, they said, often.

"This past year, it's pretty much been an everyday thing," Vicky Locke said. "He was trying to cut back, but unfortunately he had went and got a bottle and got really drunk and got really aggressive."

Late on the night of Dec. 15, the Lockes and close family friend Haley Smith, 19, were in a bedroom talking.

"He was eating a piece of cake and he was smacking his lips, and I said, 'Chris, can you please stop smacking your lips?' And he just went off. He started calling me names. I had actually went up to him and I had apologized to him if I had offended him," Vicky Locke said.

She was also hoping her husband would apologize for the names he called her. Instead, she said, he told her "it would be a cold day in hell," before he did that.

At that point, Locke said she took the nearly empty vodka bottle he had been drinking and threw it away. When Christopher Locke found it in the garbage, he picked it up and allegedly threw it at Vicky, missing her and hitting Smith in the head instead. Smith's head was bleeding and she needed to go to the hospital, Vicky Locke said. But her husband didn't want emergency officials called.

"That's when things went from bad to really bad," she said.

As Locke tried to get a cellphone to call police, she said her husband punched her in the face and knocked her down.

"He told me he was going to give me something to call the police about," she recalled.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere