Ogden 'diplomat' admits to false trillion-dollar damage claims
SALT LAKE CITY — An Ogden man who claimed diplomatic immunity during a traffic stop last year is headed to prison for trying to bill government agencies for trillions of dollars in damages.
Harvey Douglas Goff, 55, pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice in federal court Thursday in connection with an effort to impede a proceeding in U.S. Tax Court. As part of the agreement, prosecutors will drop 13 other charges and recommend he spend three years in prison.
Goff admitted that he repeatedly filed false forms in a national database asserting that a judge had provided him with tens of millions of dollars in cash in “suspicious” transactions. He also admitted that he sent the judge copies of the forms, which constituted obstruction of justice.
He also mailed documents to the state, Weber County, Ogden and the Ogden Police Department claiming they had contracted to pay him $53 trillion in damages. He filed 77 liens on parcels of land in Weber County, including municipal property and private residences, according to the indictment.
Goff sent fictitious documents to the U.S. Department of Treasury, including a "discharging and indemnity bond" for $300 billion.
The mailings apparently started after Ogden police stopped Goff on several traffic violations and continued through subsequent court proceedings in Weber County. He claimed diplomatic immunity during one of the stops and challenged the jurisdiction of the state court judge, according to the indictment.
Goff will be sentenced March 13.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Landslide remediation plans emerge amid...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 34
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20