Police release name of man shot by officer in Taylorsville
TAYLORSVILLE — The name of a man shot and killed by police Thursday has been released.
Jose Luis Rodriquez-Castro, 32, was shot and killed by a Unified police officer Thursday morning in the parking lot at the Department of Workforce Services, 5735 S. Redwood Road. Castro was in the process of attacking his girlfriend, holding her against her will with a knife inside an SUV, when the officer found them, according to police.
After ignoring several commands to drop the weapon, Castro was shot.
The officer was placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation. Sheriff Jim Winder, however, said all indications were the officer's actions may have saved the woman's life.
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 34
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 16
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9