Jabari Parker reacts to heavy Twitter criticism with class, tweet of his own (+video)
Shortly after Jabari Parker announced his decision to play his college basketball at Duke University under coach Mike Krzyzewski, Twitter lit up. Not all of the reaction was good.
ESPNChicago.com's Scott Powers wrote that much of the reaction in social media to Jabari's decision was negative, and that the abuse Parker suffered in the aftermath wore on him.
"I think I'm getting more tweets," Parker told Chicago radio station ESPN 1000. "Fans are just now giving me a hard time. They sometimes just forget I'm a kid. Real hateful stuff. It's no problem, though. I know it comes with the territory, and it's just going to make me stronger."
Parker put out his own tweet around 10 p.m. Thursday night. It read as follows:
Trying to grow up fast. Act with a lot of class. I want to be respectful ALL the time. Sometimes people forget I'm 17#strivingforcharacter— Jabari Parker (@JabariParker22) December 21, 2012
Since the interview and subsequent publishing of the ESPNChicago.com article, people logged on once again to show an outpouring of support of Parker and his decision to play at Duke.
Here is a collection of positive tweets voicing support for Parker's decision and encouraging him to stay positive.
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 112
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 64
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 30
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 23
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 20
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8