Jabari Parker reacts to heavy Twitter criticism with class, tweet of his own (+video)
Shortly after Jabari Parker announced his decision to play his college basketball at Duke University under coach Mike Krzyzewski, Twitter lit up. Not all of the reaction was good.
ESPNChicago.com's Scott Powers wrote that much of the reaction in social media to Jabari's decision was negative, and that the abuse Parker suffered in the aftermath wore on him.
"I think I'm getting more tweets," Parker told Chicago radio station ESPN 1000. "Fans are just now giving me a hard time. They sometimes just forget I'm a kid. Real hateful stuff. It's no problem, though. I know it comes with the territory, and it's just going to make me stronger."
Parker put out his own tweet around 10 p.m. Thursday night. It read as follows:
Trying to grow up fast. Act with a lot of class. I want to be respectful ALL the time. Sometimes people forget I'm 17#strivingforcharacter— Jabari Parker (@JabariParker22) December 21, 2012
Since the interview and subsequent publishing of the ESPNChicago.com article, people logged on once again to show an outpouring of support of Parker and his decision to play at Duke.
Here is a collection of positive tweets voicing support for Parker's decision and encouraging him to stay positive.
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 5