Jabari Parker reacts to heavy Twitter criticism with class, tweet of his own (+video)
Shortly after Jabari Parker announced his decision to play his college basketball at Duke University under coach Mike Krzyzewski, Twitter lit up. Not all of the reaction was good.
ESPNChicago.com's Scott Powers wrote that much of the reaction in social media to Jabari's decision was negative, and that the abuse Parker suffered in the aftermath wore on him.
"I think I'm getting more tweets," Parker told Chicago radio station ESPN 1000. "Fans are just now giving me a hard time. They sometimes just forget I'm a kid. Real hateful stuff. It's no problem, though. I know it comes with the territory, and it's just going to make me stronger."
Parker put out his own tweet around 10 p.m. Thursday night. It read as follows:
Trying to grow up fast. Act with a lot of class. I want to be respectful ALL the time. Sometimes people forget I'm 17#strivingforcharacter— Jabari Parker (@JabariParker22) December 21, 2012
Since the interview and subsequent publishing of the ESPNChicago.com article, people logged on once again to show an outpouring of support of Parker and his decision to play at Duke.
Here is a collection of positive tweets voicing support for Parker's decision and encouraging him to stay positive.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 120
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 66
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 49
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 28