"10 GREAT SOULS I WANT TO MEET IN HEAVEN," by S. Michael Wilcox, Deseret Book, $21.99, 253 pages (nf)
S. Michael Wilcox, author and popular speaker, is certain of one thing.
"We need to learn from one another. No single people, tradition, religion, governmental form, ethical program, moral code or civilization has had sufficient wisdom and goodness to set the pattern and govern the world in the ways of peace, decency, and mutual respect. I do not believe God ever intended it to be that way," he wrote. "He wants us to reach out and learn from the wisdom he has given to humanity."
In his new book, "10 Great Souls I Want to Meet in Heaven," Wilcox profiles the lives of 10 individuals who have tutored his soul as well as his mind and whom he wants to meet in the hereafter.
"The men and women in this book are some of my best friends in history. Most you know — or are familiar with — though perhaps only in brief glimpses. Some may be entirely new to you," Wilcox wrote. "I present them in the hope that you will come to know them better, be lifted by their goodness and all they have to offer in the great conversation of the ages and the nations."
The list includes Saint Patrick, the slave who was not Irish; Saint Francis of Assisi, the son of a wealthy Italian merchant who became a Catholic friar; Joan of Arc, a French peasant who became a national heroine; Mencius, a Chinese philosopher; Khadija and Aisha, wives of and helpmeets to the prophet Mohammad; Siddhartha, who became the Buddha; Charles Darwin, the English scientist and naturalist; Sir Ernest Shackleton, who spend much of his life as a polar explorer; George MacDonald, the Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister who inspired, among others, C.S. Lewis; and Elizabeth Barrett Browning, the prominent English poet, whose love for her husband, Robert Browning, and its reciprocation, are the stuff of legend.
Wilcox wrote the book based on Mormon's teaching to "lay hold upon every good thing" and the Doctrine and Covenant's injunction to "seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom" as an invitation to study truth from all cultures and all people. From great individuals of the past we gain valuable insights and cultural perspectives, and we are inspired by their triumphs over life's challenges, Wilcox said.
"10 Great Souls," is avaliable wherever LDS books are sold.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- LDS mission president's wife dies
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks friends,...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Bible wars among...
- Faith, friends and football: Stanford...
- Family motto helps LDS couple put parenting...
- LDS missionary collapses, dies during ward...
- See why this woman's decision not to bake a...
- Obama in State of the Union: Tax... 56
- LDS missionary collapses, dies during... 28
- See why this woman's decision not to... 23
- 22 online dating tips for Mormon YSA men 20
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks... 16
- Defending the Faith: A tribute to... 15
- LDS mission president's wife dies 14
- Why the world needs rich Christians 13