UVU basketball: men wrap up homestand Saturday vs. N.C. Central
OREM, Utah - Utah Valley University looks to gain a season split with North Carolina Central on Saturday afternoon at 4:05 p.m. in the UCCU Center. The Wolverines (6-7) fell 70-52 in Durham to the Eagles (5-6) on Nov. 27.
“North Carolina Central completely outplayed us in our first meeting,” UVU coach Dick Hunsaker said. “They were more physical, quicker to the ball, they out-hustled us and dominated at every position. They know they can beat us.”
On Wednesday, UVU beat Troy for the second time in overtime this season after picking up a double-OT victory Dec. 8 in Alabama. The Wolverines’ last three victories have all come in overtime.
In Wednesday’s 67-64 overtime win, Ben Aird finished with 18 points, nine rebounds and three blocks with Nick Thompson adding 13 points, 12 rebounds and four assists. Holton Hunsaker scored 13 including six in overtime and Antoine Hosley chipped in 10 off the bench for UVU.
N.C. Central has played just three games since the Nov. 27 contest against UVU, picking up a win over North Carolina A&T in its MEAC opener Dec. 1. Since, the Eagles have suffered pair of narrow defeats against Eastern Kentucky and, most recently, by three points Dec. 19 at Drake.
Jeremy Ingram leads fourth-year coach LeVelle Moton’s club with 14.7 points per game. Stanton Kidd, who scored 14 in the earlier win over UVU, averages 14.4 points and 6.6 rebounds alongside Ray Willis' 12.7 points. Willis led all scorers in the first meeting with 15.
This is the final of a three-game homestand for Utah Valley and the last game prior to a short Christmas break. Play will resume Dec. 28-29 at the Dr Pepper Classic in Chattanooga, Tenn., against Austin Peay. UVU opens Great West Conference action Jan. 5 at home against NJIT.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39