Herbert appointments include new insurance commissioner
SALT LAKE CITY — Todd Kiser, a retiring state lawmaker who is president of an insurance agency, has been named commissioner of the Utah Insurance Department by Gov. Gary Herbert.
Kiser, who did not seek re-election to the legislative seat he's held for a decade, plans to sell his financial interest in the Kiser-Lord Insurance Agency before taking over as commissioner. The current commissioner, Neal Gooch, is retiring in mid-January.
The governor said Kiser "will provide the right balance of technical understanding and policy insight, especially as the state navigates the future of health care and potential impacts to both the insurance industry and employees."
Kiser said he looks forward to "this new challenge at such a critical time for the insurance industry and private sector." His appointment comes as Herbert is making a number of changes to his cabinet.
The governor also appointed Robert Pero to serve on the Utah State Tax Commission. Pero intends to resign as Carbon County clerk and auditor to take the post.
And Thad LeVar, currently deputy director of the state Department of Commerce, and David R. Clark, now legal counsel to the state Public Service Commission, were appointed to fill vacancies on the Public Service Commission.
Herbert's appointments are subject to confirmation by the state Senate.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 28
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Report: Communication breakdowns... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7