Herbert appointments include new insurance commissioner
SALT LAKE CITY — Todd Kiser, a retiring state lawmaker who is president of an insurance agency, has been named commissioner of the Utah Insurance Department by Gov. Gary Herbert.
Kiser, who did not seek re-election to the legislative seat he's held for a decade, plans to sell his financial interest in the Kiser-Lord Insurance Agency before taking over as commissioner. The current commissioner, Neal Gooch, is retiring in mid-January.
The governor said Kiser "will provide the right balance of technical understanding and policy insight, especially as the state navigates the future of health care and potential impacts to both the insurance industry and employees."
Kiser said he looks forward to "this new challenge at such a critical time for the insurance industry and private sector." His appointment comes as Herbert is making a number of changes to his cabinet.
The governor also appointed Robert Pero to serve on the Utah State Tax Commission. Pero intends to resign as Carbon County clerk and auditor to take the post.
And Thad LeVar, currently deputy director of the state Department of Commerce, and David R. Clark, now legal counsel to the state Public Service Commission, were appointed to fill vacancies on the Public Service Commission.
Herbert's appointments are subject to confirmation by the state Senate.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Two suffer minor injuries in gyrocopter crash...
- Intermountain Healthcare taps new CEO
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail without a...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 13
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12