Herbert appointments include new insurance commissioner
SALT LAKE CITY — Todd Kiser, a retiring state lawmaker who is president of an insurance agency, has been named commissioner of the Utah Insurance Department by Gov. Gary Herbert.
Kiser, who did not seek re-election to the legislative seat he's held for a decade, plans to sell his financial interest in the Kiser-Lord Insurance Agency before taking over as commissioner. The current commissioner, Neal Gooch, is retiring in mid-January.
The governor said Kiser "will provide the right balance of technical understanding and policy insight, especially as the state navigates the future of health care and potential impacts to both the insurance industry and employees."
Kiser said he looks forward to "this new challenge at such a critical time for the insurance industry and private sector." His appointment comes as Herbert is making a number of changes to his cabinet.
The governor also appointed Robert Pero to serve on the Utah State Tax Commission. Pero intends to resign as Carbon County clerk and auditor to take the post.
And Thad LeVar, currently deputy director of the state Department of Commerce, and David R. Clark, now legal counsel to the state Public Service Commission, were appointed to fill vacancies on the Public Service Commission.
Herbert's appointments are subject to confirmation by the state Senate.
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Elderly man hit, killed after chasing dog...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 37
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9