Herbert appointments include new insurance commissioner
SALT LAKE CITY — Todd Kiser, a retiring state lawmaker who is president of an insurance agency, has been named commissioner of the Utah Insurance Department by Gov. Gary Herbert.
Kiser, who did not seek re-election to the legislative seat he's held for a decade, plans to sell his financial interest in the Kiser-Lord Insurance Agency before taking over as commissioner. The current commissioner, Neal Gooch, is retiring in mid-January.
The governor said Kiser "will provide the right balance of technical understanding and policy insight, especially as the state navigates the future of health care and potential impacts to both the insurance industry and employees."
Kiser said he looks forward to "this new challenge at such a critical time for the insurance industry and private sector." His appointment comes as Herbert is making a number of changes to his cabinet.
The governor also appointed Robert Pero to serve on the Utah State Tax Commission. Pero intends to resign as Carbon County clerk and auditor to take the post.
And Thad LeVar, currently deputy director of the state Department of Commerce, and David R. Clark, now legal counsel to the state Public Service Commission, were appointed to fill vacancies on the Public Service Commission.
Herbert's appointments are subject to confirmation by the state Senate.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12