WSU basketball: Weber State cruises to win in first Big Sky game
Weber State Athletics
The Weber State men’s basketball team never trailed and cruised to a 74-53 win at Eastern Washington on Thursday night in its first Big Sky Conference game of the season.
WSU jumped out to a quick 11-0 lead and never looked back. Weber State didn’t trail by less than eight points the rest of the way.
The Wildcats led 37-26 at halftime and started the second half on a 7-0 run and led by as many as 27 in the half. They shot 57 percent from the field in the second half.
“I was really pleased with our defense and our rebounding and thought we came out and played really hard and stuck to our game plan,” WSU head coach Randy Rahe said. “We had great energy from a lot of different guys and played with a great effort, especially defensively.”
For the game, Weber State shot 48 percent from the field and held the Eagles to just 34 percent shooting. The Wildcats were 8-of-15 from three-point land while Eastern Washington finished 4-of-16. WSU also outrebounded the Eagles 41-28
Junior Jordan Richardson led a balanced scoring attack by Weber State, tying his season-high with 15 points. Kyle Tresnak added 14 points and pulled down five rebounds.
Freshman Joel Bolomboy had nine points, all coming in the first half, and had career-highs with 12 rebounds and four blocked shots. Davion Berry and Byron Fulton each added nine points. Berry also posted a career-high seven assists.
With the win, the ‘Cats improve to 5-3 on the season and 1-0 in Big Sky play, winning their fifth straight game against the Eagles in Cheney. Venky Jois led Eastern Washington with 21 points, but the Eagles have now lost six straight and fell to 2-9 on the year.
The game was the first of 20 Big Sky Conference games this season. The Wildcats will stay on the road and play at Portland State on Saturday at 8:30 p.m. MST.
Paul Grua is the Director of Athletic Communications at Weber State University.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- College football: BYU receives votes in...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- Utah Utes senior Nate Orchard's goal: Improve...
- Utah football fall practice position preview:...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 138
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 105
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 105
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 81
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 73
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 52
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 32
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 30