SALT LAKE CITY — A 60-year-old man is in jail after police say he tried to take 47 books and CDs from the Salt Lake City Main Library.
Alan Henry Chock, of Salt Lake City, is charged with possession of a controlled substance, a third-degree felony, and library theft, a class A misdemeanor, according to charges filed Thursday in 3rd District Court.
According the the charges, a library patron alerted security that a man was attempting to leave with library property concealed in his coat. The security guard stopped Chock and found he had filled his coat pockets with 47 books and DVDs, valued at $610.
Arresting officers also found a bag of methamphetamine in Chock's pocket as he was booked into Salt Lake County Jail. He is being held on $5,000 bail.
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases on...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 103
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 75
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 67
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 44
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 41
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24