Man charged in theft of 47 books, DVDs from library
SALT LAKE CITY — A 60-year-old man is in jail after police say he tried to take 47 books and CDs from the Salt Lake City Main Library.
Alan Henry Chock, of Salt Lake City, is charged with possession of a controlled substance, a third-degree felony, and library theft, a class A misdemeanor, according to charges filed Thursday in 3rd District Court.
According the the charges, a library patron alerted security that a man was attempting to leave with library property concealed in his coat. The security guard stopped Chock and found he had filled his coat pockets with 47 books and DVDs, valued at $610.
Arresting officers also found a bag of methamphetamine in Chock's pocket as he was booked into Salt Lake County Jail. He is being held on $5,000 bail.
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 84
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 31
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Man accused in BYU gropings ordered to... 7