Man charged in theft of 47 books, DVDs from library
SALT LAKE CITY — A 60-year-old man is in jail after police say he tried to take 47 books and CDs from the Salt Lake City Main Library.
Alan Henry Chock, of Salt Lake City, is charged with possession of a controlled substance, a third-degree felony, and library theft, a class A misdemeanor, according to charges filed Thursday in 3rd District Court.
According the the charges, a library patron alerted security that a man was attempting to leave with library property concealed in his coat. The security guard stopped Chock and found he had filled his coat pockets with 47 books and DVDs, valued at $610.
Arresting officers also found a bag of methamphetamine in Chock's pocket as he was booked into Salt Lake County Jail. He is being held on $5,000 bail.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Utah’s Great Gallery rock art younger...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Tired teen plowed into new car lot, Vernal...
- Family of drowned Weber County man hopes free...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 52
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 47
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 29
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 24
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake... 19