BYU football: Craig Bills hit sets early tone for BYU defense in first half against San Diego State
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
BYU's defense gave up early yards to SDSU sensational running back Adam Muema, but the Aztecs failed to score a touchdown in a first half they dominated.
Some of the credit for BYU's defense early in the Poinsettia Bowl goes to safeties Craig Bills and Daniel Sorensen, who made a lot of tackles on a slippery turf in which SDSU had a lot of success gaining big yards.
But it was Bills' hit on SDSU receiver Colin Lockett at the goal line that appeared to wake up BYU's defense in the first quarter. SDSU led the Cougars 6-3 at halftime. It could have been 21-3.
Bills caught Lockett running a post pattern with the ball headed for his hands when he lowered his shoulder and took Lockett right off his feet. Lockett did not get up for three minutes as officials directed Aztec trainers to the field. He walked off under his own power and returned to the game.
The turf in Qualcomm Stadium was a factor for both teams. A myriad of players lost their footing through the game on slips and slids and failed to make plays due to poor footing.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot... 22