Police identify man who led them on chase from Ogden to Logan
OGDEN — Police have identified the man accused of ramming police cars and leading officers on a 100 mph chase after being shot Tuesday.
Clifford Dean Owens, 51, was taken into custody and was recovering after the incident. Ogden police had responded to reports of an impaired driver about 11:30 p.m. near The Gate at Canyon Ridge apartments, 1455 Valley Drive.
When an officer approached the vehicle, Owens proceeded to the back of the complex, where the officer attempted to corner him, police said. Owens rammed the police car with his own vehicle as he attempted to flee, police said.
The officer fired his weapon several times, striking Owens twice. His injuries were not life-threatening, police said. As Owens fled, the chase reached speeds of more than 100 mph, leading police to terminate the pursuit for safety reasons.
Police spiked the tires of Owens' vehicle, which was driving on rims by the time it reached Logan. Owens was taken into custody when the vehicle became stuck in the driveway of a vacant home near 1100 South and 1000 West and officers threatened to release a police K-9.
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- Despite rain, Utahns still have plenty of...
- Mia Love pushing higher education act
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror dropping...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah's air pollution problem: What does... 17