Police identify man who led them on chase from Ogden to Logan
OGDEN — Police have identified the man accused of ramming police cars and leading officers on a 100 mph chase after being shot Tuesday.
Clifford Dean Owens, 51, was taken into custody and was recovering after the incident. Ogden police had responded to reports of an impaired driver about 11:30 p.m. near The Gate at Canyon Ridge apartments, 1455 Valley Drive.
When an officer approached the vehicle, Owens proceeded to the back of the complex, where the officer attempted to corner him, police said. Owens rammed the police car with his own vehicle as he attempted to flee, police said.
The officer fired his weapon several times, striking Owens twice. His injuries were not life-threatening, police said. As Owens fled, the chase reached speeds of more than 100 mph, leading police to terminate the pursuit for safety reasons.
Police spiked the tires of Owens' vehicle, which was driving on rims by the time it reached Logan. Owens was taken into custody when the vehicle became stuck in the driveway of a vacant home near 1100 South and 1000 West and officers threatened to release a police K-9.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12