Police identify man who led them on chase from Ogden to Logan
OGDEN — Police have identified the man accused of ramming police cars and leading officers on a 100 mph chase after being shot Tuesday.
Clifford Dean Owens, 51, was taken into custody and was recovering after the incident. Ogden police had responded to reports of an impaired driver about 11:30 p.m. near The Gate at Canyon Ridge apartments, 1455 Valley Drive.
When an officer approached the vehicle, Owens proceeded to the back of the complex, where the officer attempted to corner him, police said. Owens rammed the police car with his own vehicle as he attempted to flee, police said.
The officer fired his weapon several times, striking Owens twice. His injuries were not life-threatening, police said. As Owens fled, the chase reached speeds of more than 100 mph, leading police to terminate the pursuit for safety reasons.
Police spiked the tires of Owens' vehicle, which was driving on rims by the time it reached Logan. Owens was taken into custody when the vehicle became stuck in the driveway of a vacant home near 1100 South and 1000 West and officers threatened to release a police K-9.
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 14