Deseret News archives
OK, it’s Dec. 21, there’s snow on the ground and it’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas, or so they sing. Only a couple more shopping days left. That is, unless you’re just planning to pick up a box of stale off-brand chocolates from 7-Eleven on your way home from work on Christmas Eve and call it good.
Hey, we’ve all been there. Um, haven’t we? Well, maybe only some of us.
So how many Christmas movies have you watched so far this season? You did start watching right after Thanksgiving, right?
Sure, you’ve seen them all before, but this time of year it’s hard to resist watching some of them again. And again.
How many times have you been channel surfing and unexpectedly found yourself caught up in that marathon of “A Christmas Story” on cable until it begins to feel like “Groundhog Day”? And you keep going back even though you’ve already watched it, or at least pieces of it, like a million times?
And now you have some of the dialogue down, right? Enough to quote from any number of holiday movies old and new, or at least enough to recognize certain lines that resonate or are particularly memorable or funny?
Well, it’s time to stretch those all-important trivia movie-quotation muscles.
See if you remember these quotes well enough to identify which movies they came from. The answers are at the end. (No cheating now; Santa’s watching.)
1. “Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.”
2. “You’ll shoot your eye out, kid.”
3. “Seems we're all so busy trying to beat the other fellow in making things go faster and look shinier and cost less that Christmas and I are sort of getting lost in the shuffle.”
4. “Who gave you permission to tell Charlie there was no Santa Claus? I think if we're going to destroy our son's delusions, I should be a part of it.”
5. “You guys give up yet? Or are you thirsty for more?”
6. “Mother always taught me: ‘Never eat singing food.’”
7. “My dear partner, when what's left of you gets around to what's left to be gotten, what's left to be gotten won't be worth getting, whatever it is you've got left.”
8. “Blast this Christmas music. It's joyful and triumphant.”
9. “Every time I'd opened my mouth he talked. I felt like Charlie McCarthy.”
10. “This place reminds me of Santa's Workshop! Except it smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me.”
11. “A gentle smile often breeds a kick in the pants.”
12. “Well I really wouldn't care to scratch your surface, Mr. Kralik, because I know exactly what I'd find. Instead of a heart, a handbag. Instead of a soul, a suitcase. And instead of an intellect, a cigarette lighter — which doesn't work.”
13. “The only people who grow old were born old to begin with.”
14. “My great aunt Jennifer ate a whole box of candy every day of her life. She lived to be 102 and when she'd been dead three days she looked better than you do now!”
15. “Forgive me, Mr. Claus. I'm afraid I've made a terrible mess of your holiday.”
ANSWERS: 1. “It’s a Wonderful Life,” 2. “A Christmas Story,” 3. “Miracle On 34th Street”, 4. “The Santa Clause,” 5. “Home Alone,” 6. “The Muppet Christmas Carol,” 7. “White Christmas,” 8. “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” 9. “Christmas in Connecticut,” 10. “Elf,” 11. “Holiday Inn,” 12. “The Shop Around the Corner”, 13. “The Bishop’s Wife,” 14. “The Man Who Came to Dinner,” 15. “The Nightmare Before Christmas.”
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- The Clean Cut: Toddler can't help but run to...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over faith;...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Stuart Edge, Alex Boye, other Utah artists...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over... 20
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 17
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 6
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6