4 Cyprus High students suspended after police say they brought knives to school
MAGNA — Four high school students are facing suspensions and possible further discipline from the Granite School District after they were found carrying knives and brass knuckles on campus.
On Wednesday, administrators at Cyprus High School, 8623 W. 3000 South, spotted four male students skipping class in the stairwell of the school. When school officials searched the truant boys, they found three of them had pocketknives and one had brass knuckles, said Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley. One of the boys, for an unknown reason, was wearing a ski mask.
The four boys had not threatened or harmed anyone, and their motive Thursday was unclear. Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said all of the boys had known gang affiliations.
Under the district's Safe Schools policy, the boys were arrested for possession of a dangerous weapon on school property and will be referred for suspensions and alternative schooling placement, Horsley said.
Parents of the other students at Cyprus were notified Wednesday night of the incident.
The suspensions mark the latest incident of weapons in a Granite District school building this week. On Tuesday, an 11-year-old West Kearns Elementary student was arrested and charged with bringing a gun to school and threatening students.
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 37
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 26
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 21