4 Cyprus High students suspended after police say they brought knives to school
MAGNA — Four high school students are facing suspensions and possible further discipline from the Granite School District after they were found carrying knives and brass knuckles on campus.
On Wednesday, administrators at Cyprus High School, 8623 W. 3000 South, spotted four male students skipping class in the stairwell of the school. When school officials searched the truant boys, they found three of them had pocketknives and one had brass knuckles, said Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley. One of the boys, for an unknown reason, was wearing a ski mask.
The four boys had not threatened or harmed anyone, and their motive Thursday was unclear. Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said all of the boys had known gang affiliations.
Under the district's Safe Schools policy, the boys were arrested for possession of a dangerous weapon on school property and will be referred for suspensions and alternative schooling placement, Horsley said.
Parents of the other students at Cyprus were notified Wednesday night of the incident.
The suspensions mark the latest incident of weapons in a Granite District school building this week. On Tuesday, an 11-year-old West Kearns Elementary student was arrested and charged with bringing a gun to school and threatening students.
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Elderly man hit, killed while changing tire
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 61
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 14