4 Cyprus High students suspended after police say they brought knives to school
MAGNA — Four high school students are facing suspensions and possible further discipline from the Granite School District after they were found carrying knives and brass knuckles on campus.
On Wednesday, administrators at Cyprus High School, 8623 W. 3000 South, spotted four male students skipping class in the stairwell of the school. When school officials searched the truant boys, they found three of them had pocketknives and one had brass knuckles, said Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley. One of the boys, for an unknown reason, was wearing a ski mask.
The four boys had not threatened or harmed anyone, and their motive Thursday was unclear. Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said all of the boys had known gang affiliations.
Under the district's Safe Schools policy, the boys were arrested for possession of a dangerous weapon on school property and will be referred for suspensions and alternative schooling placement, Horsley said.
Parents of the other students at Cyprus were notified Wednesday night of the incident.
The suspensions mark the latest incident of weapons in a Granite District school building this week. On Tuesday, an 11-year-old West Kearns Elementary student was arrested and charged with bringing a gun to school and threatening students.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Southern Utah infant dies after being left in...
- Review board clears Salt Lake police officer...
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Police say son beat 70-year-old father to death
- Utah mother of 8 in running for...
- Uintah County man accused of assaulting...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Review board clears Salt Lake police... 30
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26