This Christmas season, many are gearing their attention toward those in the Newtown community.
Marnie Stallings came up with the idea of sending a care package after talking to a close friend who has personal connections to the Newtown tragedy. Amy Timmerman has also volunteered her time in collecting the donations to be sent out this weekend.
"In our close group of friends, we have a friend who lives in the same community as the Parker family," Timmerman said. "They are LDS Church members and so we are sending it to their Relief Society president who will make sure the funds go to all of the families in need in the community."
Stallings and Timmerman appreciate all donations, from money to comfort items for the children, such as coloring books, stuffed animals or anything that may brighten their day.
"I know it's hard with Christmas right around the corner," Timmerman said in an email. "But we felt strongly about putting the word out to those we know who might also like to help even in a small way."
Money and items may be dropped off at 4339 Camille St. in Salt Lake City. For any questions, contact Stallings at 801-891-1856 or Timmerman at 801-450-9458.
All donations need to be delivered by Thursday, Dec. 20. The money will be shipped as a cashier's check along with any other items.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for the Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- New report says 2013 was 'the largest...
- Local Muslims end Ramadan with celebration
- Wright Words: Bad days are inevitable —...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 14
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 8
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5