Utah high school basketball: Grantsville hands Stansbury Stallions fourth straight loss
STANSBURY PARK – Coming into Wednesday’s game against Stansbury, the Grantsville Cowboys had never beaten their Region 11 rivals. That all changed when the Cowboys put together a great road win behind Devin Adams’ 16 points and Skyler Cloward’s 10 to beat the Stallions 46-35, sending them to their fourth loss in a row.
“Hard work pays off," Adams said. "We played about 60 games this summer and I think all that work in the offseason helped us get better.”
After a very low scoring first quarter, Grantsville took a 9-7 lead into the second. A very good second quarter by the Cowboys gave them a 25-16 advantage at the half.
The Cowboys turned up the heat defensively in the third quarter, and that is really when the game was won. Grantsville used a 1-3-1 zone to completely shut down the Stallions offense, and it paid big dividends for them.
“They’re a team that has to get into the paint to score,” said Adams. “We tried to stop Stone. He’s a great post player and he can get anything around the rim. We forced them to take some outside shots.
The Stallions cut the lead to four in the final period, but just weren’t quite able to score enough points against a stingy Grantsville defense. Stansbury only scored seven field goals the entire night and went 20-of-29 from the foul line.
Stansbury drops to 3-5 with the loss, and will travel to Morgan Friday. Grantsville moves to 5-3 with the win and will host the Tooele Buffaloes Friday.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School. Follow CJ on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113
- BYU basketball: Former Cougar basketball...
- BYU football: Kyle Van Noy accepts invitation...
- Utah basketball: Big, loud Huntsman Center...
- Commentary: For the Jazz, it's all about 2016-17
- BYU's Kyle Van Noy named CBSSports.com...
- Deseret News' high school football MVPs 1997-...
- Utah State basketball: Leading scorer Jarred...
- Utah Jazz: NBA taking notice of Jazz rookie...
- BYU, Utah basketball: Fast start lifts... 153
- Utah basketball: Utes looking forward... 55
- BYU digs early hole, can't recover in... 40
- Brad Rock: Utah, BYU coaches keep it in... 36
- BYU men's basketball: UNLV's Jamal... 33
- Utah basketball: Ute sophomore Jordan... 29
- BYU's Kyle Van Noy named CBSSports.com... 28
- BYU, Utah basketball report card: Utes... 25