Utah Jazz: Doomsday defeat? Nah, but blowout to Pacers was bad (+video)
A few more numbers to accentuate the lowlights: 37.2-percent shooting, being outscored by a whopping 36-2 in paint through the first 28 minutes and 52-28 overall, and falling behind by a season-high 32 points.
"Tough, tough. We missed a lot of shots," Jazz power forward Derrick Favors said despite being one of the few players to hit his shots — 7 of 13 en route to 16 points with nine rebounds. "Even when we'd get the shot we wanted, we'd just miss it and at the other end of the floor, they were making their shots. Tonight's game is just a mental thing."
Even after the inept first half, after which Utah trailed 53-31, the Jazz quickly showed things weren't going to turn around anytime soon. That became obvious when they suffered a shot-clock violation on their first possession in the second half.
Utah did trim the final deficit down to 20 points, but that was merely putting spotty lipstick on this mucky pig of a defeat.
"We're disappointed in our performance, but you know what? It's one game. We didn't play our best basketball," Corbin said after his team fell to 14-13 and 5-11 on the road. "We have to make sure we're ready to go the rest of the trip. We've got a game in Miami (Saturday) and a game in Orlando (Sunday), so we've got to be ready for those two games."
To a man, the Jazz said they just have to quickly move on from this debacle.
"I can't speak for everybody else, but I don’t watch no ESPN. I don’t watch nothing," Jefferson said. "(We need to) just get the game out of our head and just try to bounce back, be ready to take care of business."
Assuming, of course, he's right about that whole world-not-ending prediction.
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 133
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 55
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 18