Woman dies after couple gets caught in snowstorm in Washington County
ENTERPRISE, Washington County — A woman is dead after getting caught in a snowstorm overnight on a dirt road north on Gunlock Reservoir.
Washington County Sheriff's detective Nate Abbott said the woman and a man were driving between the Gunlock and Enterprise reservoirs when their car became stuck late Tuesday night.
Thinking they were relatively close to Enterprise Reservoir, the man and woman set out on foot, Abbott said. The woman's body was found in the snow about three miles from the vehicle, where she stopped.
The man continued on foot, eventually finding shelter, Abbott said. Wednesday morning, he set off again and found a group of snowmobilers. Police were contacted about noon.
Because of heavy snowfall, search and rescue crews were only able to reach the woman and the car by snowmobile, Abbott said. The vehicle was found about midway between the two reservoirs.
The woman's name was not released Wednesday night pending notification of family.
When stranded in the bad weather, Abbott said the best bet is to remain in the vehicle.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 59
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 42
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 42
- School leaders look for solutions to... 26
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 16
- San Diego woman wins damages against... 16