Woman dies after couple gets caught in snowstorm in Washington County
ENTERPRISE, Washington County — A woman is dead after getting caught in a snowstorm overnight on a dirt road north on Gunlock Reservoir.
Washington County Sheriff's detective Nate Abbott said the woman and a man were driving between the Gunlock and Enterprise reservoirs when their car became stuck late Tuesday night.
Thinking they were relatively close to Enterprise Reservoir, the man and woman set out on foot, Abbott said. The woman's body was found in the snow about three miles from the vehicle, where she stopped.
The man continued on foot, eventually finding shelter, Abbott said. Wednesday morning, he set off again and found a group of snowmobilers. Police were contacted about noon.
Because of heavy snowfall, search and rescue crews were only able to reach the woman and the car by snowmobile, Abbott said. The vehicle was found about midway between the two reservoirs.
The woman's name was not released Wednesday night pending notification of family.
When stranded in the bad weather, Abbott said the best bet is to remain in the vehicle.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22