Woman dies after couple gets caught in snowstorm in Washington County
ENTERPRISE, Washington County — A woman is dead after getting caught in a snowstorm overnight on a dirt road north on Gunlock Reservoir.
Washington County Sheriff's detective Nate Abbott said the woman and a man were driving between the Gunlock and Enterprise reservoirs when their car became stuck late Tuesday night.
Thinking they were relatively close to Enterprise Reservoir, the man and woman set out on foot, Abbott said. The woman's body was found in the snow about three miles from the vehicle, where she stopped.
The man continued on foot, eventually finding shelter, Abbott said. Wednesday morning, he set off again and found a group of snowmobilers. Police were contacted about noon.
Because of heavy snowfall, search and rescue crews were only able to reach the woman and the car by snowmobile, Abbott said. The vehicle was found about midway between the two reservoirs.
The woman's name was not released Wednesday night pending notification of family.
When stranded in the bad weather, Abbott said the best bet is to remain in the vehicle.
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- After tragedy, couple uses genetic screening...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Pharmacist who stole pills in 2012 accused of...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 92
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 11
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8
- Kennecott hopes project will change... 7
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of... 7