Woman dies after couple gets caught in snowstorm in Washington County
ENTERPRISE, Washington County — A woman is dead after getting caught in a snowstorm overnight on a dirt road north on Gunlock Reservoir.
Washington County Sheriff's detective Nate Abbott said the woman and a man were driving between the Gunlock and Enterprise reservoirs when their car became stuck late Tuesday night.
Thinking they were relatively close to Enterprise Reservoir, the man and woman set out on foot, Abbott said. The woman's body was found in the snow about three miles from the vehicle, where she stopped.
The man continued on foot, eventually finding shelter, Abbott said. Wednesday morning, he set off again and found a group of snowmobilers. Police were contacted about noon.
Because of heavy snowfall, search and rescue crews were only able to reach the woman and the car by snowmobile, Abbott said. The vehicle was found about midway between the two reservoirs.
The woman's name was not released Wednesday night pending notification of family.
When stranded in the bad weather, Abbott said the best bet is to remain in the vehicle.
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 81
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 59
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12