Woman dies after couple gets caught in snowstorm in Washington County
ENTERPRISE, Washington County — A woman is dead after getting caught in a snowstorm overnight on a dirt road north on Gunlock Reservoir.
Washington County Sheriff's detective Nate Abbott said the woman and a man were driving between the Gunlock and Enterprise reservoirs when their car became stuck late Tuesday night.
Thinking they were relatively close to Enterprise Reservoir, the man and woman set out on foot, Abbott said. The woman's body was found in the snow about three miles from the vehicle, where she stopped.
The man continued on foot, eventually finding shelter, Abbott said. Wednesday morning, he set off again and found a group of snowmobilers. Police were contacted about noon.
Because of heavy snowfall, search and rescue crews were only able to reach the woman and the car by snowmobile, Abbott said. The vehicle was found about midway between the two reservoirs.
The woman's name was not released Wednesday night pending notification of family.
When stranded in the bad weather, Abbott said the best bet is to remain in the vehicle.
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 11
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8